PDA

View Full Version : what the HELL is going on with the new adept!!!?

el_ricardo
November 12th, 2008, 03:12 PM
ok i just updated to KDE 4.1.2, and thought i'd try out the new adept, am i the only person that HATES it?! why is it that i'm forced to view the packages in catagories? I want the old one back!

dagfinn
November 12th, 2008, 04:38 PM
No, you're not the only one. If someone has a way of using it that makes it possible to actually search for what you want, I'm interested. Since I feel obliged to RTFM, I tried the "Adept handbook" menu option. Nothing whatsoever happened. Then I tried searching for it at docs.kde.org. In vain.

I like KDE 4, but Adept is currently useless. As far as I can tell.

wolfen69
November 12th, 2008, 05:51 PM
kde4 has a looooooong way to go before i consider it usable. on top of that, kubuntu has always been the red headed step child of ubuntu. that equals disaster.

Skripka
November 12th, 2008, 05:56 PM
No, you're not the only one. If someone has a way of using it that makes it possible to actually search for what you want, I'm interested. Since I feel obliged to RTFM, I tried the "Adept handbook" menu option. Nothing whatsoever happened. Then I tried searching for it at docs.kde.org. In vain.

I like KDE 4, but Adept is currently useless. As far as I can tell.

Yep, fortunately, I have Synaptic on my machine....most of KDE4 I like--except how the killed Adept.

el_ricardo
November 12th, 2008, 06:14 PM
i really like the rest of KDE4, they've come on in leaps and bounds since the initial 4.0 release tbh, has anyone tried KDE sonftware installer (http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/KDE+Software+Installer+(Debian%2C+Kubuntu)?content =78871)? I'm gonna give that a try, only problem is it's not in the repos!

grotto
November 12th, 2008, 06:40 PM
There is Adept Installer and Adept Manager. Manager is a bit more like the old Adept in that you can enter a word and it searches for it in real time as you enter it. It uses tags and doesn't require searches in a specific category. I'm not sure what the point of Installer is. I just stick with Adept Manager or use apt-get.

dagfinn
November 12th, 2008, 07:24 PM
There is Adept Installer and Adept Manager. Manager is a bit more like the old Adept in that you can enter a word and it searches for it in real time as you enter it. It uses tags and doesn't require searches in a specific category. I'm not sure what the point of Installer is. I just stick with Adept Manager or use apt-get.
There is no Adept Manager in my KDE 4 installation. Nor any obvious way to install it.

dagfinn
November 12th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Yep, fortunately, I have Synaptic on my machine....most of KDE4 I like--except how the killed Adept.
Yes, Synaptic is fine, so this is not a major crisis. Just perplexing and irritating.

james_xxx
November 12th, 2008, 07:34 PM
Same experience here. Adept has been completely trashed.

Let's hope what we have is just some sort of weird transitional snapshot that will regain its old functionality somewhere down the road. As it stands right now, there is no point to having it installed.

I've had to get used to living without Adept in Debian Lenny, and now the same goes for Intrepid.

As an alternative to Synaptic, it would also be worthwhile to many to get used to using aptitude from a terminal. I've been learning to like it over the last few months.

grotto
November 12th, 2008, 07:42 PM
There is no Adept Manager in my KDE 4 installation. Nor any obvious way to install it.

It looks like they have Adept Installer listed in the menu and not Manager. I solely use Krunner so I'm not familiar with the menus.

Krunner is Alt+F2 by default. Typing Adept Manager will bring it right up.

dagfinn
November 12th, 2008, 08:02 PM
It looks like they have Adept Installer listed in the menu and not Manager. I solely use Krunner so I'm not familiar with the menus.

Krunner is Alt+F2 by default. Typing Adept Manager will bring it right up.
Duh. I'm starting to see the light. The KDE 3 program was called adept-manager (I think). Now there's a program called adept that takes string "manager" as input. So "adept manager".

But it's Adept Manager I'm complaining about. I had been starting it as "Package Manager" from the menu. Adept Installer looks it actually has a proper text search. I can type "ssh" and get a search result. Unlike Adept Manager. It doesn't appear to list everything, though.

kernelhaxor
November 12th, 2008, 08:03 PM
yep, I too use only the Adept Manager which is pretty good. You might wanna check tht out

dagfinn
November 12th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I'm only slightly smarter than before. Synaptic gives a much longer list of search results. I'm sure it's very logical once you understand it. If anyone does. ;);)

Also weird is the fact that my upgraded Intrepid on my personal machine had no synaptic (I had to install it separately), but the newly installed Intrepid at work has Synaptic, and it's not my doing.

dagfinn
November 12th, 2008, 08:13 PM
yep, I too use only the Adept Manager which is pretty good. You might wanna check tht out
As I said, that's the one I'm complaining about. Since you think it's pretty good, maybe you know something. Like how do I find all packages related to ssh?

bash
November 12th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Anyone care to post a screenshot? Don't have Ubuntu, but I'm curious what all the fuzz is about.

grotto
November 12th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Duh. I'm starting to see the light. The KDE 3 program was called adept-manager (I think). Now there's a program called adept that takes string "manager" as input. So "adept manager".

But it's Adept Manager I'm complaining about. I had been starting it as "Package Manager" from the menu. Adept Installer looks it actually has a proper text search. I can type "ssh" and get a search result. Unlike Adept Manager. It doesn't appear to list everything, though.

Ahh, I see what you mean - my mistake. I tried searching using Adept Manager and Aptitude for SSH. They are give completely different results. None for Adept manager and 49 results for aptitude. I didn't realize how bad it was.

grotto
November 12th, 2008, 08:39 PM
Anyone care to post a screenshot? Don't have Ubuntu, but I'm curious what all the fuzz is about.

From left to right: Adept Installer, Adept Manager, Aptitude. (http://i37.tinypic.com/oj1c92.jpg)

dagfinn
November 12th, 2008, 08:51 PM
From left to right: Adept Installer, Adept Manager, Aptitude. (http://i37.tinypic.com/oj1c92.jpg)
Looks like Adept Installer only shows GUI applications.

In Adept Manager, if I type "sshfs" into the search box, I get a long list of applications. Apparently, it finds all tags relevant to the sshfs package and then displays all packages tagged with those. On the other hand there's a package called ssh too, so why does nothing happen when I type "ssh"? And how is the long package list sorted, if at all?

qazwsx
November 12th, 2008, 08:57 PM
I really like it. Huge facelift actually ;)
And it is still in beta stage.

KDE4 version is better tehn KDE3 version but basic apt-get is still much better IMO.

kernelhaxor
November 12th, 2008, 09:02 PM
From what I have observed, it waits for at least four characters before actually searching .. so after you type "ssh", just type a space and see what happens .. I typed in "ssh " (with a space at the end) .. Look at the search results in the screenshot attached

mrboojive
November 12th, 2008, 09:12 PM
I like the new Adept, too. It looks great. But the searching needs to work more like Synaptic.

Skripka
November 12th, 2008, 09:20 PM
From what I have observed, it waits for at least four characters before actually searching .. so after you type "ssh", just type a space and see what happens .. I typed in "ssh " (with a space at the end) .. Look at the search results in the screenshot attached

Even then, I search for some packages I already have installed-and Adept doesn't find them. I have the Debs on my drive, and Gdebi tells me they are installed, Synaptic says they are installed, they run and are listed in my Kmenu--Adept doesn't find them tho'.

aged hippy
November 12th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I can't get on with Synaptic in KDE 3.5, so use Adept instead, but in KDE 4.x i find Adept Installer about as much use as a chocolate tea-pot :](*,) and use Synaptic instead.

kernelhaxor
November 12th, 2008, 09:37 PM
Even then, I search for some packages I already have installed-and Adept doesn't find them. I have the Debs on my drive, and Gdebi tells me they are installed, Synaptic says they are installed, they run and are listed in my Kmenu--Adept doesn't find them tho'.

Looks like there r a lot of issues on Adept .. I hope they're all fixed ..

Oh well, there's always Synaptic to use!

dagfinn
November 12th, 2008, 09:38 PM
Perfectly intutive, I guess. :roll:

I believed it for a while. And then I found it's not that simple. When I type "ker " or "kerm " or even "kermi ", it shows search results for a fraction of a second, and then they disappear.

kernelhaxor
November 13th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Perfectly intutive, I guess. :roll:

I believed it for a while. And then I found it's not that simple. When I type "ker " or "kerm " or even "kermi ", it shows search results for a fraction of a second, and then they disappear.

Wow .. I see the same thing .. Like I mentioned in the previous posts, there r lot of issues abt Adept .. I hope they all get fixed..

twent4
November 17th, 2008, 01:26 AM
I'd just like to confirm that the new Adept Manager is absolutely horrid. The kde3 one was intuitive: you can type in a string and it will bring up everything related to it. Kde4's manager seems to do stuff seemingly at random: the packages don't get listed alphabetically (im guessing it's alphabetized within categories, but not on a global list scale when it presents string search results), and for some reason you can enter 4 characters and get some results, then add an extra character and somehow get MORE results.
How is it possible for it to find more results for a longer string?!

Also, the view menu is useless, since it just views the stuff on the sidebar. How about some basic settings...?

adibudeen
November 20th, 2008, 07:45 PM
:lolflag: I thought it was just me. There are serious problems with searching in this new Adept.

It reminds me of a "did you mean?" search. I type in "amarok" and it spits out, "Did you mean amarok-engines?"

No, I meant amarok!

"Did you mean soundkonverter?"

Um, no, I meant amarok!

"Did you mean kde-icons-crystal?"

:confused:

(Note, these are real search results after typing in "amarok")

I've never been a fan of the Mac-like "search while you type" feature anyway, but at least the old Adept would search what I type while I'm typing it. The new Adept seems to search whatever it wants. Artificial intelligence is very scary when it's not intelligent.

Perhaps we should start an Adept Manager support group.

Skripka
November 20th, 2008, 08:40 PM
The new Adept seems to search whatever it wants. Artificial intelligence is very scary when it's not intelligent.

Perhaps we should start an Adept Manager support group.

Artificial Unintelligence, don't we have enough of the later already?

kde4-core-user
December 21st, 2008, 02:46 PM
It seems that Adept 3.0 is completely dead now:

farewell, adept

I am quite sad to announce that I am discontinuing Adept development for good. Since Kubuntu will be changing its default manager to KPackageKit (I wish everyone involved good luck), I have no further motivation to work on Adept at all ....

http://web.mornfall.net/adept.html

But when we will get ready KPackageKit packages for Intrepid?

Skripka
December 21st, 2008, 03:47 PM
It seems that Adept 3.0 is completely dead now:

But when we will get ready KPackageKit packages for Intrepid?

KPackage is in the Admin module for KDE 4.2 Beta 2.

BUT:
- It doesn't at this stage have as many finding issues as Adept-but it still has some. Synaptic sees and finds all the packages for my G15 keyboard in the repos--there are 7 (all of which I have installed), KPackageKit only sees 2 (regardless of search string).
-I made a Debian package to install Google Earth (screw you Google), and Synaptic sees the package fine. Adept sees it fine. KPackage does not see it at all.

I will say the new Adept (in KDE4.1.3) had a nice and swank GUI, but the backend needed some work.