PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Where do I find Linux-Generic Meta-Package

OMR
November 12th, 2008, 12:25 PM
In my update Manager there is A security update available titled "Linux-Unbuntu-Modules-2.6.24-21-Generic", and when I checked the details it said "You likely do not want to install this package directly. Instead, install the Linux-Generic Meta Package". Where do I find this package?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give to point me in the right direction!

PartisanEntity
November 12th, 2008, 12:29 PM
This and most other packages can be found under System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager.

However I think you will be fine letting the updater install it for you.

OMR
November 12th, 2008, 09:49 PM
In my update Manager there is A security update available titled "Linux-Unbuntu-Modules-2.6.24-21-Generic", and when I checked the details it said "You likely do not want to install this package directly. Instead, install the Linux-Generic Meta Package". Where do I find this package?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give to point me in the right direction!

Note to PartisanEntity: I followed your recommendation, after installation I discovered some unsupported dependencies, Firestarter would not start and I lost my internet, it took two hours to get back on line, then I used Synaptic Package Manager to install the recommended Meta Package and all problems were solved. I would suggest that you just answer the question asked and not included what you think as this caused a-lot of work for me!
I do want to thank you for your time,

landtodd
September 29th, 2009, 02:00 AM
Great question you asked. I'm exactly there trying to get some backported ath5k modules. What did you finally download, and how did you pick specific modules from it? :-D

rakete
October 1st, 2009, 05:09 PM
this is confusing me, too...

Why is is marked as SOLVED? I did not find a solution in this thread...

I searched Synaptics but did not find the so called "Linux-Generic Meta Package"...

Synaptics shows only linux-image generic and linux-ubuntu-modules ...everything installed in latest version. The package which is showing up in the update manager is marked with a star...

Can anyone tell me, how the package I should install is named exactly? I am not willing to risk any upgradeproblems in the future... A temporary internet loss is not acceptable, since I deleted my Vista 64bit, because of such a problem after an update. I would do this with ubuntu, too, burn all my ubuntu stickers and CD's left and tell everyone to buy a mac... :twisted:

Seriously: Why is a package recommended to update via update Manager and then it says in the Description "It is not recomemnded to install this package over the update manager, instead...." :confused::confused::confused:

I do not have to understand this, right? But I would like to...

ptn107
October 1st, 2009, 05:31 PM
The appropriate packages [and associations] for the Linux kernel in Ubuntu are:

linux-generic (meta-package)
- linux-image-generic (meta-package)
- linux-image-<version>-generic (desktop kernel)
- linux-ubuntu-modules-<version>-generic (kernel modules; Ubuntu 8.04.x only)
linux-headers-generic (meta-package)
- linux-headers-<version> (common system headers)
- linux-headers-<version>-generic (desktop headers)
linux-firmware (kernel driver firmware; >= Ubuntu 8.10 only)

<version> varies depending on which Ubuntu version you use:

8.04.x = 2.6.24-24
8.10 = 2.6.27-14
9.04 = 2.6.28-15
9.10 = 2.6.31-12

rakete
October 1st, 2009, 05:35 PM
so, as far as I understand you, if I do not find this packages in synaptics directly, I should go fine with a

sudo apt-get install linux-generic

?

if I do so, he states that there is nothing to install, just an update for one package... I saw this package before in the update manager...:rolleyes:

rakete
October 2nd, 2009, 09:28 AM
so, I presume, the solution is to just ignore this update and hope not to install it by incident in the future, right?

Any chance to ignore this update for ever?

Thanks for nothing...

Paqman
October 2nd, 2009, 09:38 AM
linux-generic is a meta-package that should be installed on your system by default (unless you've removed it, which isn't a good idea)

It's purpose is to depend on the latest kernel, so that when a new kernel is released, linux-generic gets updated and that pulls down the new kernel for you. Nice and simple. If you don't have linux-generic on the system, you won't get kernel updates, which would be bad.

So yes, if you don't have this package already, install it now.

OMR
October 8th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Sorry the post that started this was my first post. Re: [SOLVED] Where do I find Linux-Generic Meta-Package
this is confusing me, too...

Why is is marked as SOLVED? I did not find a solution in this thread...

I searched Synaptics but did not find the so called "Linux-Generic Meta Package"...

Synaptics shows only linux-image generic and linux-ubuntu-modules ...everything installed in latest version. The package which is showing up in the update manager is marked with a star...

Can anyone tell me, how the package I should install is named exactly? I am not willing to risk any upgradeproblems in the future... A temporary internet loss is not acceptable, since I deleted my Vista 64bit, because of such a problem after an update. I would do this with ubuntu, too, burn all my ubuntu stickers and CD's left and tell everyone to buy a mac...

Seriously: Why is a package recommended to update via update Manager and then it says in the Description "It is not recomemnded to install this package over the update manager, instead...."

I do not have to understand this, right? But I would like to...
This WILL solve the problem. Go to synaptic, to the left at the window that says ALL at the top scroll down to Meta Packages click it, then on the left scroll down to linux-image- generic that is what you need. But the easy way is to click the box Mark all upgrades near the top then click apply let it do its thing and you are done. This has worked for me without fail for almost a year, Iwas brand new to any forums when I made the first post in this thread, BTW I had to figure out this solution myself, I hope this solves everyones confusion, I hope this will help anyone else with this problem. OMR

rakete
October 8th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I did the update via synaptics... everything is fine, nothing is broken...
:D

sorry for being hysteric ;)

oldschoolgentoo
April 3rd, 2013, 04:35 AM
i appreciate the reply and the update on this issue. Their are alot of users who will do simple but stupid things on the Nix Boxes. So being clear and exact on the process when it comes to the Kernel helps greatly. Thank you for the updated info. I realize this is an old Post but it comes up in new systems that havent been updated in years....

QIII
April 3rd, 2013, 05:05 AM
Thank you for sharing,

If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.

Thread closed.

cariboo
April 3rd, 2013, 05:05 AM
Info from 2009, isn't up-to-date, I'd suggest instead of wasting time searching old threads, you probably could have created a new thread, and received an answer fairly quickly. Thread closed.

Edit: Ninja'd by QIII :-D