PDA

View Full Version : My wednesday morning

red_Marvin
November 12th, 2008, 10:56 AM
So... I wake up about 20 minutes later than I need to in order to both have breakfast and be able to hit the first hour of classes without having to feel overly embarrased when entering the room, but I opt for breakfast (I have a nasty cold, so something hot in the morning feels essential). Since decided to skip the first hour, I now have some time over so I start my laptop to check today's schedule. But. The screen won't start.
Aaaaarrrrgh.
I connect an external monitor (my old trusty crt with a glitchy green channel), in hope that it is only the laptop screen that has died on me, but no signal.
Sigh.
It probably is angry because I've been looking at all those new netbooks lately, but while it would be nice to have one spending the money isn't that fun, and even more I have the moral belief that unnecesary consumption should be kept to a minimum. Now I might have to...
Oh well I'll probably survive, I'm just letting off some steam.
...hmmmm steam... that might be good for the cold...

billgoldberg
November 12th, 2008, 10:59 AM
So... I wake up about 20 minutes later than I need to in order to both have breakfast and be able to hit the first hour of classes without having to feel overly embarrased when entering the room, but I opt for breakfast (I have a nasty cold, so something hot in the morning feels essential). Since decided to skip the first hour, I now have some time over I start my laptop to check today's schedule. But. The screen won't start.
Aaaaarrrrgh.
I connect an external monitor, in hope that it is only the laptop screen that has died on me, but no signal.
Sigh.
It probably is angry because I've been looking at all those new netbooks lately, but while it would be nice to have one spending the money isn't that fun, and even more I have the moral belief that unnecesary consumption should be kept to a minimum. Now I might have to...

That sucks.

The Asus Eeepc 900 are real cheap now (€300) and work 100% with Ubuntu (eeebuntu). :p

alwez_loner
November 12th, 2008, 11:07 AM
So... I wake up about 20 minutes later than I need to in order to both have breakfast and be able to hit the first hour of classes without having to feel overly embarrased when entering the room, but I opt for breakfast (I have a nasty cold, so something hot in the morning feels essential). Since decided to skip the first hour, I now have some time over so I start my laptop to check today's schedule. But. The screen won't start.
Aaaaarrrrgh.
I connect an external monitor (my old trusty crt with a glitchy green channel), in hope that it is only the laptop screen that has died on me, but no signal.
Sigh.

Sorry that really sucks!!!

Guess it must be just about the time to start window shopping for a new Comp. Good luck with all the variety out there it crazy..

Joeb454
November 12th, 2008, 11:21 AM
I'd still try the laptop, try booting a live cd or something to see whether your X configuration is broken.

Unless of course it didn't even show the initial loading :(

My Wednesday morning was similar, but I opted for class (walked in 30 minutes late :confused:)

red_Marvin
November 12th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Well I won't replace it without an investigation, but it looks grim, the screen stays black even during POST, but the sounds from it hint that the problem does not reach further than to graphics at least. It might also be something simple like a loose connector or something like that. And if all fails I will try setting it up as a headless server or something, it certainly is much quieter than the old 350MHz machine I post this from. (-Which has the proper computerish sound we all love so much)