PDA

View Full Version : [other] building a Kubuntu computer, need opinions

itsStephen
November 12th, 2008, 10:54 AM
I'm going to build my first computer just for experience pretty much and I want to put Kubuntu on it! Since I've wanted to make the switch since I first saw KDE 4 I've decided I'm actually going to use it.

So basically, I just want to know a couple of things

Because it's just for experience and I have a budget of $400 Australian dollars (including delivery) I've picked a Sempron LE-1250 (2.2 GHz). I was wondering if 1 gb ram will be enough or should I buy 2 gb ram? It's still in my budget so it doesn't bother me what I get.

Also, is the Palit N61S motherboard any good? It seems ok so I chose it because the site I'm buying the parts from won't have more of the one I wanted to get for another 3 weeks and I don't want to wait that long. I'm just going to be using the integrated graphics too which is the GeForce 6100. Would that be good enough?

I'm just excited about building it so I'd appreciate if anyone could help! Thanks!

By the way, I'm just going to be using it for pretty much internet and setting up Apache, PHP, MySQL etc (no one can access it though). Also very light graphic work, I've got Photoshop on another computer.

Paqman
November 12th, 2008, 11:07 AM
The most important thing is to make sure you get a mobo which plays nicely with Linux. Search for the model number everywhere and see if people have struck problems. In a way, it's good if you don't find anything.

As for RAM size, i'd say if you've got the cash go for it. When one of my 1GB sticks died a little while ago I had to step down to 1GB for a while. It still ran really well, but 2GB is noticeably smoother (presumably due to much more stuff being cached)

itsStephen
November 12th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Yeah with the mobo, the one I was going to get I could find a heap of reviews and they all said it works fine with Linux. I can't find anything for this one. I'm just not getting a Foxconn mobo because I've never had luck with Linux and them.

shanep-server
November 12th, 2008, 11:30 AM
when building a computer processor and ram are most important. Mobo comes in right around last place imo. As long as its got the features and your not going to overclock anything put your money into a processor and ram. Make sure to read reviews on cheaper mobos to make sure there are no problems. Normally I would say graphic card is up there but if ur not gaming no worries.

sayems
November 12th, 2008, 11:39 AM
You can build a perfect system with $400, You can get AMD Athlon, Asus Motherboard, G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 800, Nvidia card (Do not buy ATI Card), and good power supply. like Antec or PC Power & Cooling.

You can get all kind of information from the following link
http://www.tomshardware.com (www.tomshardware.com/)

http://www.anandtech.com/

itsStephen
November 12th, 2008, 12:00 PM
I'm in Australia ^^

Actually I was getting G.SKILL 2GB DDR2 800 mhz ram :P