PDA

View Full Version : Anti Dolphin

GuiGuy
November 12th, 2008, 10:41 AM
After a long time fan of KDE, Kubuntu 8.10 and KDE4 finally broke my spirit mainly because of that Dolphin thing.

So I got quite excited when I stumbledupon http://anti-dolphin.org/fear.php which proclaims "Fear the Dolphins". Aha, I thought, people like me are banding together to slay the demonic dolphin in KDE4. A good start to try and get the KDE4/ Dolphin devs to see the light. :mrgreen:

Alas, no. These guys have got the wrong dolphin :(

PS: I've found gnome now ;)

Cheers

Sugz
November 12th, 2008, 11:14 AM
I think that Dolphin is almost a direct Rip of Macs Finder.
the layout, functioality and even the scroll bar wave effects. And its not even that smooth.

Dixon Bainbridge
November 12th, 2008, 11:16 AM
I think that Dolphin is almost a direct Rip of Macs Finder.
the layout, functioality and even the scroll bar wave effects. And its not even that smooth.

/shudders

Why would anyone want to rip off Finder? Its God-awful.

billgoldberg
November 12th, 2008, 11:27 AM
I've tried Dolphin once, it's wasn't great but not bad either.

ratmandall
November 12th, 2008, 11:32 AM
I like thunar better then dolphin and thunar is ugly :)

SunnyRabbiera
November 12th, 2008, 11:41 AM
So long and thanks for all the fish :D

kernelhaxor
November 12th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Dolphin is the best file manager I have ever used .. it is in fact one of the reasons I switched to Kubuntu .. Fast & Smooth on my desktop!

why do you hate dolphin?

daverich
November 12th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I like the fact you can have a terminal in it.

umm.

Thats it.

How do you make thunar your default instead?

Kind regards

Dave Rich

pt123
November 12th, 2008, 01:05 PM
I found Dolphin to be more like Nautilus (which is a good thing).

I have hated Konqueror the main reason I wouldn't use KDE3. It is so cluttered and all the features are in your face to compensate for a lack of .......
I hate when file managers try to be more than file managers.

binbash
November 12th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I am using gnome since 199X .Everytime i hate KDE.I tried latest KDE 4 at Fedora 10.Dolphin is the best file manager i have ever seen.

Ub1476
November 12th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Yeah, Dolphin rocks. Easy change of layout, many view modes, terminal, etc. For a normal user, Dolphin is the best around I think (probably beats Finder and Explorer).

And Konqueror is still around, so what is it worry about?

beno1990
November 12th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Dolphin is pretty decent, IMO. It's not perfect, but what in KDE 4 is right now?

It just needs the rough edges (and excessive CPU usage while doing simple tasks) ironed out.

lzfy
November 12th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Dolphin is one of the best apps for KDE right now. It's fast, has many view options and it's configurable. It's not perfect but sure is the best file manager for Linux.

grotto
November 12th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Dolphin is one of the bigger reasons I switched to KDE. I never liked any of the Gnome file managers and using KDE file managers in Gnome always had little issues. I've never understood why people don't like it. :confused: Dolphin isn't perfect, but it is the best file manager GNU/*nix/OSS has to offer.

chucky chuckaluck
November 12th, 2008, 02:15 PM
i like dolphin, but kde doesn't need both dolphin and konqueror (unless there are people out there who like konqueror as a browser and not as a file manager). kde4 has gone in a horribly foolish direction, imltho. this is just one of the reasons.