PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to boot 8.04 LVM partition from 8.10 Grub menu?

ruudschellekens
November 12th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Dear all,

I have upgraded my Hardy release to Intrepid last Sunday but got lots of annoyances like window decorations that looked awkward. Since I have 2 hard disks I decided to do a clean install on the second hard drive using the installation cd of Intrepid. Installation was succesful, yet after a reboot I got Grub error 21.

So I installed again using the second drive fully (guided partition use full disk) and disconnected the first drive containing my upgraded Hardy system. This worked. Now I want to setup grub so that it will boot my upgraded Hardy release again. The problem is that I set up my Hardy release with LVM and I do not know how to add the lvm partition to the grub boot loader so I can boot the old installation again.

Can anyone help me here? I can mount the lvm with lvm 2 commands found here:
http://linuxwave.blogspot.com/2007/11/mounting-lvm-disk-using-ubuntu-livecd.html

Kind regards,

Ruud

littlebat
November 12th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Mount your Hardy partition, copy items(vmlinuz and initrd.img ) in its "/boot" into your Intrepid's "/boot" directory.
Edit your menu.lst in "/boot/grub/" in Intrepid, add the boot items of hardy.

Here is a boot item of Hardy "/" on lvm over raid0 for refering:

title Ubuntu 8.04.1, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
root (hd1,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.24-19-generic root=/dev/mapper/ubuntuvg-ubunturoot ro quiet splash
initrd /initrd.img-2.6.24-19-generic
quiet

It's isn't clear of your question. Need detail. Where did you get stuck?