PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Desktop settings reset.

CMR_98823
November 12th, 2008, 07:42 AM
I am having an issue with my settings being reset or modified slightly upon logging in from different sessions, and/or just logging out in general.

For instance, I have my sound working as of right now in Ubuntu 8.10...and even that is intermittent, I do one thing and it might stop working on me...

But when I switch Kubuntu 8.10 session, sound doesn't work.

I then switch back to Gnome, and my desktop is altered, no more cube desktop, "Extra" on my appearance settings is changed to none and my screen resolution is changed from 1280x1024 to "Preferred" which basically changes it automatically to a ridiculous wide screen resolution, even though I have a normal LCD.

I have been having troubles with my audio driver as well, which could explain the sound issues between different sessions.

Some useful info perhaps:

Kubuntu 8.10/Ubuntu 8.10 (Primary Session)
Audio Driver: ALC882
ATI Catalyst Control Center 2.1/Driver Ver. 8.54.3
Video Card: ATI X700 Pro
Mobo: ASUS P5WD2-Premium

CMR_98823
November 13th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Hello, just a small bump, I could really use some help on this.

I get into KDE and any motion over any of the buttons, and I get horrible artifacts on the screen.

CMR_98823
November 13th, 2008, 05:07 AM
Almost 24 hours later, 52 views and no replies?

Did I post this in the wrong forum or is there actually not a person that can possibly have a solution or direct me to a possible solution?

I've google'd just about every phrase dealing with this issue and have tried about everything I've read and nothing seems to work.

I'm not an impatient person, but if anyone does know where I can go to find a solution or who to ask, that'd be better than nothing.

:)

blackened
November 13th, 2008, 05:15 AM
You have to remember that alot of your thread views will likely be from people suffering from similar problems looking for an answer.

Unfortunately I can't be of much help as I too am dealing with the "Preferred Resolution" problems. xrandr is apparently the dev-preferred manual solution to graphical problems (in light of displayconfig-gtk being canned and no replacement making it into 8.10), so you might give that a shot for the resolution problems. I've had alot of success with it personally.

I assure you that we're all sympathetic to your plight, but many will neglect to post unless they have useful information to offer, as is reasonable.

CMR_98823
November 13th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Ya, I didn't really consider that those views were from people just like myself...unfortunately this bug is here. Hopefully someone knowledgeable will stumble in this thread... :mrgreen:

CMR_98823
November 14th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Bump. ](*,)