PDA

View Full Version : AVG 8 tells Windows users to delete critical XP system file, hilarity ensues

MikeBrown
November 12th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Just saw this on fark.com:

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/cnet/20081111/tc_cnet/8301100931009387583

Apparently AVG 8 is telling people on XP that a system file is a trojan and needs to be deleted. If the person is unfortunate enough to delete it, it results in endless boot cycles or not being able to boot at all!

A-whoops!

lisati
November 12th, 2008, 07:14 AM
It did something similar to me recently......hmmmmmm

Dragonbite
November 12th, 2008, 02:33 PM
<petting computer>
Nice Ubuntu.

More seriously, though, is that this is something that should not have happened and I feel bad for all of those people who are trying to keep their machines running and clean and then THIS happens.

This is a great opportunity, though, to pull out a LiveCD, copy their files onto a USB pen drive or server or USB drive and then restore XP on their system.

And while the files are being copied, let them play around with the distro...

Chame_Wizard
November 12th, 2008, 02:38 PM
*LOL at Winblows*:guitar:

mihai.ile
November 12th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Lol... a friend of my mother asked me to step by today because she can't boot her Windows PC (endless reboots). She has avg and portuguese windows so guess what happened? :D

Damn you are fast people, I didn't even got to her pc and you already tell me what the problem and the fix is... wow :lolflag:

Ebuntor
November 12th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I run a computer repair service and I've flooded with calls about this. :) Luckily I read about this problem before it started. Right now I've got more costumers than I can handle.

Thank you AVG for (more or less) paying my bills. Keep up the good work! ;)

kevin11951
November 12th, 2008, 03:18 PM
this was all a big accident, right? Its not like someone purposefully added an xp system file to the virus/Trojan registry, right?

fredscripts
November 12th, 2008, 03:24 PM
omg lol just happened to my XP system on Sunday. I just formatted and installed XP again (thanks god I didn't have anything in XP but photoshop and matlab, which I installed again in a moment after formatting).

AVG appeared telling me that some trojan horse was detected, I clicked to Heal as usual,then asked some questions about user32.dll, which I clicked OK to all without reading (not very clever though lol). Then the system was never gonna reboot again.

regomodo
November 12th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Ah. That would explain why my dads laptop/ family's pc/ brother's netbook have all died recently and me having to fix/help them all.

Bought a new hdd in one case. Thankfully I use avast.

mihai.ile
November 12th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Ah. That would explain why my dads laptop/ family's pc/ brother's netbook have all died recently and me having to fix/help them all.

Bought a new hdd in one case. Thankfully I use avast.

Thankfully me & my girlfriend use Ubuntu :guitar:

-grubby
November 12th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I feel sorry for all those that can't boot their computers now, I have no idea how AVG was irresponsible enough for this to happen

regomodo
November 12th, 2008, 04:21 PM
Thankfully me & my girlfriend use Ubuntu :guitar:

That family pc had Ubuntu 8.04 on it all the time. I've avoided refixing the xp install (I had to do that a month ago) and let them get on with Ubuntu. So far only the new Hotmail+Firefox3 issue has been the only problem.

crazyfuturamanoob
November 12th, 2008, 04:31 PM
ROFLMAO LoL ahahahahahahaha :lolflag: xD Another reason more why to use Ubuntu.

MaxIBoy
November 12th, 2008, 04:39 PM
http://encyclopediadramatica.com/System32

wolfen69
November 12th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I run a computer repair service and I've flooded with calls about this. :) Luckily I read about this problem before it started. Right now I've got more costumers than I can handle.

Thank you AVG for (more or less) paying my bills. Keep up the good work! ;)

lucky you. i fix computers also, but since it does not affect english users, no extra work for me. :(