PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Virtualbox Install Failed

HDTimeshifter
November 12th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I just downloaded the Virtualbox .deb from Sun for 8.10 AMD64 (I assume this is the 64-bit version even though I'm running on Intel), however the package installer gives me the following error: "Error: conflicts with the installed package 'virtualbox-ose'.

I have not downloaded or installed virtualbox before. Does it now come with Ubuntu? What do I do to fix this?
Download/

sirebral
November 12th, 2008, 05:20 AM
You downloaded the 64 bit version. Are you running a 64 bit OS? If not then you need the x86 version.

HDTimeshifter
November 12th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Yes, 64-bit Ubuntu. That's why I downloaded the 64-bit version.

It's rather confusing why they name all the 64-bit software AMD when we are looking for 64-bit software that should run on Intel as well.

I opened Synaptic Package Manager and removed all Virtualbox OSE components, then reinstalled the .deb from the other package manager and it seemed to install ok. I have no idea where the Virtualbox OSE came from, unless it's now bundled with Ubuntu 8.10. I want USB support in Sun's .deb, and not the OSE version.

I can't get the floppy drive to mount. After checking the Mount Floppy Drive box, nothing shows up in the drop-down box. I need to boot from floppy since my XP CD is not bootable...