PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] IBM Lotus Symphony office suite.

randancing
November 12th, 2008, 04:30 AM
There is a new (as of November 8) office suite online as a free download. IBM Lotus Symphony. There is a version for Windows. There is a version for Mac OSX and (wait for it) There is a version for Ubuntu. Yes!Yes!Yes!. An office suite that reads documents from all major Operating System. Open document so it will read and write to openoffice, but this thing is absolutely beautiful. Will this be the Dragon slayer? It is possible.

lisati
November 12th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Interesting......

SunnyRabbiera
November 12th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Actually Lotus symphony is now more or less a Open office clone, its not really a big change over from open office.

LowSky
November 12th, 2008, 04:39 AM
Sorry randancing, but IBM has offered Symphony for a very long time. There has been a linux version for a long time, the "ubuntu" version is kinda new but they have offered SUSE and RedHat versions for a long time.

I works pretty good but I think OpenOffice is a little better for most people's needs. Not to mention that IBM is helping Sun with OOo

Hospadar
November 12th, 2008, 05:16 AM
It's actually based off an older version of OOo

jpoRS
November 12th, 2008, 05:49 AM
What is the appeal of this then? I mean if it is just OpenOffice . . . why not just use OpenOffice?

Though I guess IBM has more brand recognition than Sun.

jim

LowSky
November 12th, 2008, 05:53 AM
Lotus used to be built on its own software... to be used for IBM employees on IBM systems (remember OS/2 Warp), but then IBM thought a free office suite might be cool and teamed up with Sun to help build a better Office Suite. So now we have OpenOffice, StarOffice and Lotus Symphony

Zzl1xndd
November 12th, 2008, 06:13 AM
As of right now I still prefer OpenOffice. That being said this is still a good thing as much like Linux they will probably build out in different directions.

igknighted
November 12th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Symphony is non-oss, and I believe hidden away in that proprietary code is some bits that make it more compatible with MS Office documents. Especially with powerpoint, in my experience Symphony seems to display the MS documents more accurately.

rabideau
November 16th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Personally, I find the HMI (Human Machine Interface) aspect of Lotus Symphony far superior to that of native Open Office 3.0. It also seems to me that Symphony somehow runs much faster than OO 2 or 3. Perhaps Eclipse has contributed a lot to the look & feel of Symphony (more so than OO itself??? I don't know.).

In any event Symphony is a solid tool kit and is worth a closer look if you are seeking an Office Suite with nice human factors and good corporate support... I hate to say it, but I worry about OO now that Sun is in financial stress (like most of the rest of us...)