PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] help removing xp before putting on ubuntu

dowell22
November 12th, 2008, 04:12 AM
hey, i have an old laptop with only 5.57 GB total, and i want to install ubuntu on it, but ubuntu needs at least 4 GB to be installed.

i deleted absolutly everything on there. i now have 3.22 gigs. the only thing left to remove is windows. which take up alittle over a gig.

i've already tried installing ubuntu with 3.22 gigs but just won't go.

any ideas, how to remove windows, or to up my free space?

SunnyRabbiera
November 12th, 2008, 04:13 AM
On the ubuntu installer CD there should be an option to install Ubuntu on the entire drive.
How are you installing?

ichi@YUKI
November 12th, 2008, 04:17 AM
Windows will be removed when you format your hard disk before the Ubuntu Installation (included in the installation process), assuming you decide to use the entire disk for your Ubuntu Partition.

dowell22
November 12th, 2008, 04:17 AM
i'm installing by cd, but i don't have enough memory to get to that part.. (i think) i don't know.

what i do know is when i put the cd in, and click install ubuntu, it loads the kernal, goes to the ubuntu loading screen and the the ubuntu bird background comes up with a cursor that doesn't move.

so i just thought i didn't have enought memory

lisati
November 12th, 2008, 04:19 AM
i'm installing by cd, but i don't have enough memory to get to that part.. (i think) i don't know.

what i do know is when i put the cd in, and click install ubuntu, it loads the kernal, goes to the ubuntu loading screen and the the ubuntu bird background comes up with a cursor that doesn't move.

so i just thought i didn't have enought memory

You might want to try the "alternate" installation CD, which has less harsh memory requirements. It doesn't have the option to "try before you buy", but since you're looking at obliterating Windows, that won't be an issue.

dowell22
November 12th, 2008, 04:22 AM
thanks, where can i get the alternate installation cd?

bumanie
November 12th, 2008, 04:22 AM
Think you would be best to try the alternate xubuntu cd. Xubuntu will run with 128mb ram, but needs 192mb to install via a live cd.

SunnyRabbiera
November 12th, 2008, 04:24 AM
thanks, where can i get the alternate installation cd?

here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors#alternate

dowell22
November 12th, 2008, 04:27 AM
i went to xubuntu.org to try to request a disc, but you can't or else i would. and i can't download it, i don't have high-speed internet whisch majorly blows. :mad:

and can you get and alternate ubuntu installation cd? not downloading?

dowell22
November 12th, 2008, 04:34 AM
was that pretty much my last option? download xubuntu?

is there anyway to get an xubuntu cd? at all?

dowell22
November 14th, 2008, 08:30 PM
i decided to pitch the laptop... it's 11 years old... screen had a short, battery shot... completely unusable.