PDA

View Full Version : [other] Trying SSH

I am >= Wes
November 12th, 2008, 03:53 AM
I'm trying to use ssh. It seems kind of cool, but I don't really need it. I'm just kind of doing this to learn for my own sake. I'm trying to connect to my dad's mac and I have the box checked in "sharing" and everything so it should work. At the bottom of the window it tells me what to type in to connect to it remotely.

ssh usrname@internalip
It gives me the user name and the internal ip, but it doesn't seem to work. I'd really like to get this to work.
Suggestions?

--Wes

jimmy the saint
November 12th, 2008, 03:56 AM
try installing Putty.
[code]sudo apt-get update[\code]
[code]sudo apt-get install putty[\code]
and connecting with it. Also, I don't know much about macs, but is an ssh server active on the mac?

iponeverything
November 12th, 2008, 03:58 AM
What does it do when you try to connect?

can you ping the other ip address?

I am >= Wes
November 12th, 2008, 04:02 AM
When I try to connect I get "conection refused". I don't know if about the ssh server on the mac, it should be up, but I know I have one up on this machine and it doesn't work from the mac to this one (same output). How do I ping?

Putty also tells me "connection refused."

jimmy the saint
November 12th, 2008, 04:03 AM
ping "ip address"
without the quotes

iponeverything
November 12th, 2008, 04:04 AM
ping <ipaddress>

to ping
connection refused sounds like the mac is not listening

ghost_ryder35
November 12th, 2008, 04:06 AM
When I try to connect I get "conection refused". I don't know if about the ssh server on the mac, it should be up, but I know I have one up on this machine and it doesn't work from the mac to this one (same output). How do I ping?
connection refused means A. the firewall on the MAC refused your connection, or B. the service on the MAC is not running so the connection was refused

I am >= Wes
November 12th, 2008, 04:10 AM
When I ping the ip address I get "destination port unreachable" continuously.

I configured the firewall to allow ssh, I think.

ghost_ryder35
November 12th, 2008, 04:12 AM
if you cant ping it you have even bigger problems. what are your internal ip addresses?

I am >= Wes
November 12th, 2008, 04:13 AM
This machine is 192.168.2.2 and the mac is 192.168.1.2

ghost_ryder35
November 12th, 2008, 04:16 AM
This machine is 192.168.2.2 and the mac is 192.168.1.2
how is the network setup? currently they are on two diffrent subnets, and if the router does not know about the other network its not going to route... do you have two routers?

I am >= Wes
November 12th, 2008, 04:21 AM
Yea I do. that might explain a lot actually.

So is there a way I can fix it? I mean, while keeping one router.

ghost_ryder35
November 12th, 2008, 04:23 AM
you'll have to configure routes on the routers so they know where to forward the traffic. also make sure the networks do not overlap on each router.

handydan918
November 12th, 2008, 04:26 AM
you'll have to configure routes on the routers so they know where to forward the traffic. also make sure the networks do not overlap on each router.

Or maybe even more simply, eliminate one router, and replace it with a <20$ hub....

I am >= Wes
November 12th, 2008, 04:27 AM
How should I go about doing that?

I don't really want to spend money on this so the hub is out, sorry.

ghost_ryder35
November 12th, 2008, 04:29 AM
just use one router, on one subnet assuming you have open cat5e ports on one of the routers built in switches.

handydan918
November 12th, 2008, 04:47 AM
just use one router, on one subnet assuming you have open cat5e ports on one of the routers built in switches.

Ummm, yes, "assuming you have open cat5e ports", but if that were the case, who would use 2 routers?

ghost_ryder35
November 12th, 2008, 04:50 AM
Ummm, yes, "assuming you have open cat5e ports", but if that were the case, who would use 2 routers?

had to put text here *ghost_ryder35*

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
the arrows are pointing UP