PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Parition suggestions.

guice
November 12th, 2008, 02:22 AM
I'm preping my system up to install Ubuntu on it, again, but this time as a dual boot so that I can get the full disk speed (I think some "problems" I had with an internal install was due to disk access speed).

My primary drive, I have limited space, about 20 gigs or so. While that would get an OS installed, it would cause a slight problem trying to install other applications (specifically games).

So, to alleviate this problem, I'm going to split a primary drive up, NTFS/etx3 for my storage drive for all this stuff, but I want to make sure I get the right directories onto there.

Right now, I'm thinking:
/opt/
/usr/local/
/home/

Out of these, which do you foresee being the largest partition? Did I miss any? I know Ubuntu has a bit of a unique file structure compared to other Linux OSes. I want to make it so most all apps will install onto my secondary drive, for space reasons.

Thanks

tuxxy
November 12th, 2008, 02:28 AM
I would have thought /home should be the largest to hold all your apps and multimedia files/data follewed by /root which should only need around 5GB if that for file system.