PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Booting off of CD

Garrison_O
November 12th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Hey again everyone!
I'm still trying to get ubuntu on! Thanks to Partyboi2 I now have it succesfully burned onto a CD. :)
Now, though, I'm having trouble getting my computer to boot off of a CD.
I put the CD into my computer, and restarted it. It booted just like normal, with windows.
The help section on this just said to look at the menu that shows right when my computer starts, but I don't seem to have one. I just get a black screen with a blinking "_" in the upper left corner.
Can I access my menu from here, or is there something else I can do?
Thanks to anyone who can help!
Garrison
(also, speaking of thanking, I've noticed that people have something that says the number of thanks they've received. How do I give people a thanks?)

jimsoccernut
November 12th, 2008, 02:19 AM
Press F10 at the blinking cursor and see if that gets you into the BIOS where you can change the boot order.

tuxxy
November 12th, 2008, 02:21 AM
When you boot your computer press the ESC key to enter your BIOS, look for the option of boot priority and set it up to boot your CD drive first HD second.

hansdown
November 12th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Hi Garrison_O.

When your computer first starts, you should see, probably in the bottom left corner, two options; setup, and boot. They should tell you which key to hold down. Try the boot option, and change it to boot from your cd or dvd drive. Reboot, and hopefully this will do the trick.

The thankyou button is in the bottom right corner of the post you are reading, beside quote, etc.

Garrison_O
November 12th, 2008, 04:15 AM
I figured it out! There was a brief display that told me to press <f2> to enter setup. I finally got the boot order right, and it went to the Ubuntu screen. I checked my disk for (I forget the exact word they used) errors, and then selected to tryout Ubuntu without affecting my computer. The loading thing bounced back and forth a bit, and then my computer suddenly turned off. It was as if my power had suddenly gone out, and I had to wait a while before it would turn back on. I tried a few more times, but it still didn't work. Does anybody know what's happening?
Thanks for all the help you guys have given me, it makes everything soo much easier!
Garrison