PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox overlays my entire screen

egruber
November 12th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Since I got 8.1, the updated Firefox completely fills my screen so I cannot see the desktop items such as applications, etc. I also don't see the top menu bar to minimize and maximize it, and I cannot resize it smaller. To close it, I have to Alt-F4 or File Quit. All the other apps fill the screen in the proper way. Any ideas why this is happening? (I checked, and Firefox is NOT in full screen mode)

redseventyseven
November 12th, 2008, 02:26 AM
Since I got 8.1, the updated Firefox completely fills my screen so I cannot see the desktop items such as applications, etc. I also don't see the top menu bar to minimize and maximize it, and I cannot resize it smaller. To close it, I have to Alt-F4 or File Quit. All the other apps fill the screen in the proper way. Any ideas why this is happening? (I checked, and Firefox is NOT in full screen mode)

1. Do you have menu bars on the rest of your windows?
2. Do you have compiz enabled - does turning it off make any difference?
3. Can you move the firefox window around the screen using the "other" method: Hold down Alt and click and drag anywhere on the window (check that this works on one of your other windows first)?

sonu 1807
November 12th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Press F11

Crafty Kisses
November 12th, 2008, 02:42 AM
I've had the same issue but I've solved it. What you need to do is for a temporary fix is press "F11" twice, or for the permanent fix, do the following, go into the Compiz Settings Manager, and find "Windows Decorations" add the following line to "Decoration Windows":

(any) | class=Firefox

Once you've done that, close out CCSM, then open CCSM back up again, then change that to:

any

Then that should solve the problem, it worked flawlessly. If that doesn't work you can always revert back to metacity:

metacity --replace

egruber
November 12th, 2008, 02:54 PM
Codename...I don't know anything about Compiz. Where is the Settings Manager and how do I edit it? (I'll try F11 tonight, too).

Redseventyseven...all other programs have menu bars. I did notice though, that if I change the display attributes to Standard (no fancy swooping graphics) then Firefox displays properly.

shanep-server
November 12th, 2008, 03:02 PM
switch ur background. I did that and it fixed mozilla for me.

egruber
November 12th, 2008, 03:40 PM
Background? You mean like the desktop wallpaper? Switch it to what? Or did you mean something in Firefox?

tjwoosta
November 12th, 2008, 04:07 PM
if you hold alt while clicking anywhere inside the firefox window, it should let you drag the window off to one side so you can reach the resize tab

egruber
November 13th, 2008, 01:50 AM
I've had the same issue but I've solved it. What you need to do is for a temporary fix is press "F11" twice, or for the permanent fix, do the following, go into the Compiz Settings Manager, and find "Windows Decorations" add the following line to "Decoration Windows":

(any) | class=Firefox

Once you've done that, close out CCSM, then open CCSM back up again, then change that to:

any

Then that should solve the problem, it worked flawlessly. If that doesn't work you can always revert back to metacity:

metacity --replace

OK. I installed the Compiz settings manager and found the Windows Decoration line. I pasted the | class=Firefox so it looked like you said and then closed it (Do I need to add parentheses around 'any'?). I reopened it and then removed what I just pasted and then closed it again. Was that right? It didn't seem to do anything.

Also, if I hit F11 twice is corrects itself. Thanks!

Crafty Kisses
November 13th, 2008, 01:53 AM
Yes you need parentheses around any, it should look like this:

(any) | class=Firefox
Copy and paste that in Decoration Windows, then close Firefox, then reopen Firefox, then switch:

(any) | class=Firefox
To:

any
Reboot Firefox and it should work.

jimmy the saint
November 13th, 2008, 02:36 AM
Id bet 10 to 1 that you are in fullscreen mode in firefox. if this is the case, don't mess with compiz, just use the f11 to exit fullscreen

egruber
November 13th, 2008, 02:41 AM
I swear I followed your instructions and it didn't seem to do anything different. But you were right that hitting F11 twice seems to correct it. Thanks for the suggestion!

ghanagareth
November 21st, 2008, 05:01 AM
I have been trying to figure this out and nothing was working. What I found that worked eventually was to unmaximize firefox and move it around, then maximize it again. Problem solved.

cstray
November 21st, 2008, 05:39 AM
I swear I followed your instructions and it didn't seem to do anything different. But you were right that hitting F11 twice seems to correct it. Thanks for the suggestion!

the compizconfig trick didn't work for me either, but here's what i figured out that's worked for me so far:

-Press F11 twice
-'restore' firefox (now it'll be too big again, but aligned with the top of your screen)
-resize the window to fit on the screen
-close and restart firefox

you can maximize the window now and the next time you close/restart firefox it'll fit!

egruber
November 21st, 2008, 04:29 PM
the compizconfig trick didn't work for me either, but here's what i figured out that's worked for me so far:

-Press F11 twice
-'restore' firefox (now it'll be too big again, but aligned with the top of your screen)
-resize the window to fit on the screen
-close and restart firefox

you can maximize the window now and the next time you close/restart firefox it'll fit!

Thanks for the tip. But what do you mean by 'restore' firefox. When I hit F11 twice it fits perfectly. And when you say to resize to fit on the screen, do you mean drag the corner until the size is where it should be?

Thanks!

cstray
November 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the tip. But what do you mean by 'restore' firefox. When I hit F11 twice it fits perfectly. And when you say to resize to fit on the screen, do you mean drag the corner until the size is where it should be?

By restore I mean press the button in between the minimize and close window buttons on the top-right windowframe. It's a restore button when your window is maximized and a maximize button when the window is not maximized.

And by resize I mean yes, drag the corner until the window fits on your screen. You'll have to drag the window smaller from the top edge/corner and then move it up because the bottom part of the window will be hanging below the bottom of your screen. You don't have to resize it to fit perfectly, just so that it isn't larger than the screen anymore.

Pressing F11 twice does work, but right now you have to do it every time you restart your computer. If you follow my steps you won't have to do that anymore.

hope that all made sense...

egruber
November 23rd, 2008, 09:48 PM
Yes, it did! And it worked perfectly. Thanks!!

diablo75
November 23rd, 2008, 10:46 PM
Press F11

(Twice)

ostro
December 14th, 2008, 11:37 PM
http://174.129.128.200/ubuntu/1691-firefox-shows-no-windows-frame.html#post2135

i found this alternative solution. you delete the localstore.rdf

it worked for me but all my configurations on the toolbars and boockmarkbar where deleted with the file.