PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Resolution Problem

waffleturd
November 12th, 2008, 01:52 AM
I need a too change the resolution of my screen. Right now every thing is ridiculously big. I have already tried the system> preferences > screen resolution. However the maximum it would allow me to go to is 640X480.
I want it to get to about 1024X780.

I have a geforce 8000 GT if it helps. I also already have the graphic card enabled.

Help me

w4ett
November 12th, 2008, 01:59 AM
If you don't have it installed already:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings

Willthebeeguy
November 12th, 2008, 02:03 AM
I have the same problem except yesterday I had the option of going to a higher resolution with the system>preferences option. Did the window forget it could go higher?

waffleturd
November 12th, 2008, 02:06 AM
it wouldn't go high than 680X480

w4ett
November 12th, 2008, 02:10 AM
Sound as if something isn't right. :( Try and re-enable the restricted driver for your card....if it still does not work, go to Synaptic and install envyng .....uninstall the nvidia driver and then reinstall it using Envy.

pirattrev
November 12th, 2008, 02:12 AM
go to system -> administration -> screens and graphics

waffleturd
November 12th, 2008, 02:42 AM
i searched envy using synaptic package manager.
nothing appears

Willthebeeguy
November 12th, 2008, 02:46 AM
It seems that "screens and graphics" isn't a part of my system>administration. I can set high resolution on my guest user's desktop, but not on the main one. This JUST worked!!

Crafty Kisses
November 12th, 2008, 02:50 AM
Try booting into recovery mode from the GRUB menu and at the prompt, reconfigure your X server.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
sudo shutdown -r now

Willthebeeguy
November 12th, 2008, 02:59 AM
With respect, Codename. I have no idea what any of that is! :) I've been using this system a little over a week.

balaknair
November 12th, 2008, 03:33 AM
With respect, Codename. I have no idea what any of that is! :) I've been using this system a little over a week.
Basically what Codename said was copy down the lines you see in the box in his post(print it out or write it down on a piece of paper

sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
sudo shutdown -r now

Restart the system, when you get to the screen where you have to choose which OS to boot to(the GRUB menu) choose the second line(it says recovery mode). This will boot the system into a command line mode(no graphics).
When all the lines stop scrolling by, you should type in the two commands given above. It will ask for your password after each command, just type it in carefully(you won't see any ***s appear as you type it in) and press enter.
The "sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg" command will start a window where you will be guided step by step through configuration of your graphical interface. Just stick with the defaults in most cases to be on the safe side.

The last command reboots the system in an orderly way.

m_l17
November 12th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Try this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6134272&postcount=4