PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10 installation stalls on Dell Optiplex GX270

Dave Pinko
November 12th, 2008, 01:50 AM
From the installation menu, I elect to "Install Ubuntu". The proceeding orange bar fills and the Ubuntu background appears. The mouse cursor subsequently appears, as a black cross which then changes to the conventional arrow pointer. Briefly, I have control over this cursor. This is as far as intallation proceeds; The system becomes entirely unresponsive at this stage. Nor am I able to boot activate the operating system from the CD.

I am interested in using Linux/Ubuntu and would appreciate any help that you may please be able to provide. However, please do not (like on every second thread) ask that I verify the MD5 hashes for the .iso file (specifically ubuntu-8.10-desktop-i386.iso) as I have already confirmed that the file has been downloaded correctly. Yes, the CD was recorded accurately from a perfectly-functioning CD drive. Yes, the CD-R is of supreme quality and in peak condition. No, my capacitors aren't leaky and my hard-drives are partitioned correctly and detected appropriately during start-up.

Kind regards,

Dave P.

asjl
November 26th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I'm also seeing this problem - I've tried loading a recent copy of NetBSD and that works fine. The box was previously running Centos.

I'm seeing an error message:

end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1408828
Buffer I/0 error on device sr0, logical block 352207

repeat over and over

The MD5 is good, I've burnt CDs on OS X and NetBSD