PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I need help with downloading yahoo messenger.

H3lp3r
November 12th, 2008, 01:10 AM
Im on Firefox on Ubuntu obviouslly, so i downloaded the yahoo messenger and when when i double clicked it, it went to WLintaller.exe. I was triying to get Windows Live earlier, but the application confused me and I went to yahoo. Help please?! Oh, also when i try and open the messenger file it says there is no application installed for this program?? where do i get the application?

oilchangeguy
November 12th, 2008, 01:14 AM
Im on Firefox on Ubuntu obviouslly, so i downloaded the yahoo messenger and when when i double clicked it, it went to WLintaller.exe. I was triying to get Windows Live earlier, but the application confused me and I went to yahoo. Help please?!

.exe files won't run in linux.

loell
November 12th, 2008, 01:15 AM
the eternal answer is you can't use it in ubuntu or any other linux distribution.

you can have pidgin as an alternative.

lisati
November 12th, 2008, 01:17 AM
You might want to consider pidgin messenger as an alternative. As an added bonus, it can handle Yahoo, MSN, and a handful of other IM accounts.

H3lp3r
November 12th, 2008, 01:22 AM
the eternal answer is you can't use it in ubuntu or any other linux distribution.

you can have pidgin as an alternative.

Whats pidgin i can not find it

lisati
November 12th, 2008, 01:41 AM
Whats pidgin i can not find it

On the copy of Xubuntu I currently use, it's on the Applications->Network menu. If memory serves correctly, it's on the Applications->Internet menu of Ubuntu. (On older versions of Ubuntu, 7.04 (?) and older, it was called "Gaim" but the team had to change the name for legal reasons)