PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Blank,Black desktop

gulmer
November 12th, 2008, 01:03 AM
This is for my KDE desktop, gnome is OK.Whenever I login to my KDE desktop, I get this error message:A Fatal Error Occurred
The application Plasma Workspace (plasma) crashed and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEGV).

I can alt-F2 and get a command line up to run applications and firefox opens automatically. The desktop is black and blank, no panel loads.How do I fix the Plasma Workspace to load so I can see my desktop. I tried to run Plasma through a command line, it tries,I see the panel try to load, then fail and the error message pops up. Any program that's running that has a pop up message is visible, including Firefox and Konqueror.

I would like to be able to use my KDE desktop, Gnome is OK, but I prefer to use KDE. Compiz works, I can rotate the cube.

linuxownsu
November 12th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Man you should not use both KDE and GNOME on the same partition as thay MAY conflict with each others and make your apps run as ****. You should back up all your stuff before it's too late. Do you got KDE as a release candidate or as final version ?

linuxownsu
November 12th, 2008, 02:16 AM
Anyway got' something for you

http://top-web-solutions.com/kde4-plasma-workspace-bug/

gulmer
November 12th, 2008, 05:48 PM
Man you should not use both KDE and GNOME on the same partition as thay MAY conflict with each others and make your apps run as ****. You should back up all your stuff before it's too late. Do you got KDE as a release candidate or as final version ?

I installed ubuntu first with the gnome desktop, then installed the kde desktop from snaptic package manager and I've used both for years without problems, until the 8.10 upgrade.

icanfly0307
November 12th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Hey There,
I noticed that you said that you upgraded to 8.10. I think I know what the problem is. Your KDE 4.0 packages have most probably been upgraded to KDE 4.1. This is a bug so you can either try the link that Linuxownsu posted or try my suggestion...

I fixed this problem by logging in to KDE 4.1 as root. My root account would load the desktop fine so I made a new test account just to see if the issue was with my existing user account. Guess what? My test account would work fine too! So I deleted my normal account and remade it. Yeah, I know this sounds all messy, but again, you could try the link posted by Linuxownsu. Haven't tried it myself 'cause I downgraded my KDE 4.1 immediately down to KDE 4.0 which was a lot more stable for me...

Hope this helps... :)