PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] unmounted drive - help!!

bmaguire
November 11th, 2008, 11:23 PM
This evening I went to unmount a flash drive before removing it and I seem to have accidentally seriously messed my system up. I can log in as myself, I get all my applications, but none of the data - including my personal preferences, email, documents, etc.is visible!

My system is a Zareason Midlap with 4 megs of RAM and a 450 gb hard drive. I suspect I somehow unmounted one of the hard drive partitions. What have I done and how can I fix it???

dsurge
November 12th, 2008, 12:03 AM
I'm not too good with this stuff myself yet but I'll try to help. Check gparted partition editor. It'll tell you if you have any unmounted harddrives. If you don't have it installed go to your apps> add remove, type in gparted under universe and install it. if you do, all you have to do is boot up in the live cd mode and mount it.

Arlo012
November 12th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Unless you somehow completely deleted a partition, you can always boot to the Live CD and try to remount any unmounted partitions. Failing that, you can also access any critical files that you have saved and reinstall Ubuntu.

bmaguire
November 13th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I went in with gparted and didn't really make any progress. It appears that my user account got messed up somehow. Luckily my critical material was backed up, so I just restored.
Brian

mapes12
November 13th, 2008, 06:00 PM
It looks like somehow your /etc/fstab file has become corrupted and your system doesn't know where your /home is (that's where all your files, personal settings, bookmarks and the like are stored).

You may be able to reconfigure it from picking out what you need from here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome

Might be a good opportunity to make sure you have your partitions set up correctly as well: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning

bmaguire
November 14th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks! I'll check that out.
Brian