PDA

View Full Version : Why does it take so long to get bugs fixed?

jis
November 11th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Example (about Xubuntu): Some system tray icons are practically unvisible or badly sized in vertical xfce4-panel (Bug #139424)

This bug has been reported (by me) on 2007-09-13, "fixed in trunk around September 2007", but remains unfixed in Xubuntu 8.10.

saberz
November 11th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Reporting a bug is only one step of the process.

Usually they have to attempt to replicate the issue, see how many reports of the item there are(how many people is it affecting), what type of systems are showing signs of this problem etc. Then once they are able to replicate the issue, they need to create a fix, fully test the fix, if an error or side effect is shown they go back to square one. Now I am not sure if the issue you describe occurs on every Xubuntu install for other users but typically troubleshooting and replicating issues can be a time consuming process.

I deal with software support myself and it can often times take a very long time depending on the severity of the issue.

jis
November 12th, 2008, 06:20 AM
In the case I mentioned the bug is fixed at least in trunk i.e. in the development code of the project, but it doesn't help users of earlier stable versions. It can take very long time until the fix is in ubuntu packages. Would it be possible to patch some bugs in older versions to make ubuntu user experience better? Or would it be possible to have ubuntu backports made of such a trunk revision? (The trunk version may have some new bugs, though.)