PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu installed, wanting to install windows alongside

aero528
November 11th, 2008, 06:14 PM
I'm sure this has been asked before, but no searching came up with anything useful for me. I have ubuntu 8.10 installed on my desktop and I love it. I do have a couple problems with it, though, and these would be fixed if I could just load up windows every once in a while. These include itunes for an iphone, certain games(well, all that i'v tried) that don't work with crossover games(i'v not gotten crossover to load anything, but thats another issue), and some other various things. I'd rather not have to go out and buy another hard drive to boot windows, as i have a perfectly fine 320 gig with 8.10 on it. I plan on still using ubuntu as my primary OS, but i would still like a little use windows now and then. My question is this: Is there any way that I can keep the existing ubuntu install, and install windows on the same hard drive with a dual boot? Can I trick the windows installer into thinking that its only a 120 gig(just part of the 320) that its installing on? Thanks for the help guys!

ciro314
November 11th, 2008, 06:23 PM
try virtualbox. Go Google it!

aero528
November 11th, 2008, 07:38 PM
If I would have known that existed..... We'll have to see how well it works with my games, though. Thanks a bunch!

aero528
November 17th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Well, virtual box works great except for the usb support! I could not get anything that I plugged into usb to register in windows XP. So that kinda rules out the iphone problem being solved. Still haven't had the time to test it with any of my games, but we'll see about that soon. Any ideas on Virtualbox usb support?

veloce
November 17th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Well, virtual box works great except for the usb support! I could not get anything that I plugged into usb to register in windows XP. So that kinda rules out the iphone problem being solved. Still haven't had the time to test it with any of my games, but we'll see about that soon. Any ideas on Virtualbox usb support?

The other issue with virtualisation is 3d support - it is very limited. If your games require that you would be better to try Wine.

hyperdude111
November 17th, 2008, 09:27 PM
Try this guide, if worked perfectly for me.

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_instal led_first.htm