PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Made Vista Partition Larger, Shrunk Kubuntu partition

techhero2
November 11th, 2008, 04:18 PM
Hey there wonderful, brilliant people. :confused: I am relatively new to Linux. I had vista installed first then followed an excellent guide to dual booting with Linux. I got a screen where I would hit Vista or Kubuntu (it wasn't grub)(I think it was easyBCD) I decided to make the Linux section smaller and the vista larger. I used Gparted (a live cd partitioning tool). I rebooted a nothing. :confused: Just a black screen with a blinking cursor??? So I went back into Gparted and unchecked the boot flag on the vista partition and then checked the boot flag on the linux one. Kubuntu came right up when I rebooted. Then I tried the vista dvd. I hit startup repair and it fixed something. I rebooted and back to the blinking cursor. I switched the flag back to linux and grub came up with a menu. There is no option for Vista. I realize now that NOTHING can touch the Vista partition or Vista freaks out and breaks. :mad: wish I knew this a bit sooner.

Mark Phelps
November 11th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Well, I've tried to get the word out that GParted "breaks" the Vista partition and should NOT be used to resize it. The only way to fix this is to use either a Vista DVD or a Vista Recovery CD, boot using that, and run Startup Repair.

But, not surprisingly, I get flamed every time I bring this up. Seems that some of the members of the GNU/Linux community don't like that idea of someone claiming that a Linux app is less than perfect.

If you go to the NeoSmart forums site, and do some searching, you will find a link to a downloadable image from which you can create a Vista Recovery CD. That will allow you to do the Startup Repair.

techhero2
November 11th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I said in my original posting that the Vista dvd didn't fix it......

techhero2
November 12th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Guys! please help?