PDA

View Full Version : The Gimp Gui?

Johnsie
November 11th, 2008, 01:44 PM
How do you find the user interface in Gimp?

itreius
November 11th, 2008, 01:49 PM
It's alright.

chucky chuckaluck
November 11th, 2008, 01:49 PM
How do you find the user interface in Gimp?

just open up a terminal and type "gimp". b'dum-ching!1

i'm used to it, but i like it a little less since i've been using tiling wm's. i also don't like the changes in the newest version. i think i would prefer it to maximize in its own 'desktop' with the various dialogue windows either floating, or snapping to the border.

Linuxratty
November 11th, 2008, 02:02 PM
It's alright.

Yeah,I like it.
I've used the Gimp for several years and am used to it.
It does have some annoying quirks though.

niccholaspage
November 11th, 2008, 02:12 PM
I've used Gimp since 2.2.

Tomatz
November 11th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Its a bit crap.

I prefer the gimpshop ui, its more sainly layed out ;)

http://www.gimpshop.com/

Sand & Mercury
November 11th, 2008, 02:30 PM
Despised it at first, but you do get used to it.

billgoldberg
November 11th, 2008, 02:31 PM
There is nothing wrong with it's layout.

I still prefer photoshop to the gimp because of it's features, not it's layout.

gjoellee
November 11th, 2008, 02:33 PM
I like it, but it would be much better to use of it have had only one bug normal window instead of several windows....!!!

eternalnewbee
November 11th, 2008, 03:11 PM
No problems here.

Skripka
November 11th, 2008, 03:15 PM
The normal everyday Gimp GUI is one of the most physically painful I've ever had to use. Gimpshop makes it somewhat useable--but even NOT taking features into account-I'll take Photoshop ANY day over Gimp on interface alone.

Krita gets major interface points from me--as far as FOSS photo/image-editing software goes.

Tomatz
November 11th, 2008, 03:29 PM
BTW paint .net has been ported to linux using mono. Havn't tryed it yet though.

daverich
November 11th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I'm used to it,- it's helpful to have a desktop set aside purely for gimp - that works well.

It probably helps to have a widescreen monitor ;)

Kind regards

Dave Rich

Thelasko
November 11th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Having multiple windows annoys me. Same thing with xsane. I want everything to be right in front of me. I hate having to go look for it.

jespdj
November 11th, 2008, 05:16 PM
It's OK and GIMP 2.6 has some good improvements in the GUI.

There are a lot of Photoshop (for Windows) users who hate it because it doesn't look like Photoshop, and because it uses multiple small windows instead of one big window with small windows contained in it. Note that the Mac version of Photoshop uses multiple small windows, just like GIMP.

RiceMonster
November 11th, 2008, 05:43 PM
Well, I don't really like how it opens multiple windows (three, by default), but other than that it's fine.

Barrucadu
November 11th, 2008, 05:54 PM
It confused me at first, but now I'm used to it. It's not really that different from Photoshop, except that in Photoshop they are all inside one large window.

oedipuss
November 11th, 2008, 05:55 PM
I like it as it is now, v2.6 , but it was a bit unusual before that.
Multiple windows in a sensible way is fine, but 2 different partially overlapping sets of menus was weird (one on the main window, and one on the image window).

Also, a major improvement that doesn't get mentioned a lot, 2.6 has free panning ! That's a major plus for gimp's interface. Having the tools and layers set to always on top makes sense now.

My only complaint now is that it has problems with focus follows mouse mode when there are more than one image windows open. If there's another image between the active one and the layer window , but in the background, it will get focused and the layers will change when you try to go from one to the other.

lswest
November 11th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I like it, gives me the ability to maximise screen usage when working on any kind of project.

mbirth
November 11th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Is there any setting to get rid of this annoying empty window after opening GIMP and have the menubar back where it was (in the toolbox)?

I'd understand this large empty window if the toolboxes would dock to it ... but they don't. So it's not neccessary.

Cheers,
-mARKUS

Yashiro
November 11th, 2008, 06:04 PM
The UI is fine, really. The problem is if you've used Photoshop for 5 years it's hard to adapt.
Differing key bindings for some basic function can be especially annoying.

bashveank
November 11th, 2008, 06:26 PM
It's okay, but it's major differences between Photoshop make it impossible for me to use.

hessiess
November 11th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Its greait, no useless empty grey background windows that waste space, and would be a PITA on a tiling WM.

regomodo
November 11th, 2008, 08:43 PM
#

MickS
November 11th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I've only ever used the Gimp so I expect I would find Photoshop awful.
I like it BTW.

Mick

Ozor Mox
November 11th, 2008, 09:25 PM
I don't use it for anything serious, but I have no problems with the interface. Then again, I've never really used Photoshop.

SunnyRabbiera
November 11th, 2008, 09:44 PM
I sort of both love and hate the new 2.6 version of gimp, on one hand its good its been contained in one major window however I hate how the toolbox disappears when you need it.

binbash
November 11th, 2008, 10:06 PM
%99 gui problems mentioned above are limited at gimp because of the limitations.

urukrama
November 11th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I don't dislike it. I'm used to its interface and know where I can find what I want to use. I've never used another image editing application, though, so I never had to relearn an interface. I've used Photoshop once on a friends computer, and I found it very confusing. ;)

I voted "I like it".

EDIT: I haven't tried 2.6 yet, though.

clanky
November 11th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Really don't like it. GIMP is a great program, really powerful, but the UI sucks.

ddarsow
November 11th, 2008, 10:30 PM
I voted "don't like it" mostly because I think that it could be improved by making it all in 1 window. I use it quite a bit though and am used to it. Functionally, I think it is excellent. Visually, it is a bit lame.

transmition
November 11th, 2008, 10:40 PM
I find it better then it used to be, but I think it still needs improvement.

Northsider
November 12th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Love the program, hate the gui

cmat
November 12th, 2008, 03:05 AM
I like it, but it would be much better to use of it have had only one bug normal window instead of several windows....!!!

The problem is that you can't do that on X11. It doesn't have support for those PS/AutoCAD style MDI interfaces. That's a creature that exists only in the Windows world. That pretty much why GIMP is the way it is.

Frak
November 12th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Don't like it that much.

cardinals_fan
November 12th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I wish it had one window. Even with it set to float, it's still a pain in a tiling WM.

zombiepig
November 12th, 2008, 03:22 AM
Until recently, I'd made peace with the GIMP layout and decided I could live with it. But recently, I've realized there's a lot of VERY good reasons why it works like it does... now I love how they do it, and hope it never changes to the photoshop style gui.

It's worth noting that until CS4 photoshop on mac behaved in a similar way to GIMP. They changed this behaviour with CS4, and it's caused a whole lot of usability problems. Read these two pages of the arstechnica review for details:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/adobe-cs4-review.ars/2
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/adobe-cs4-review.ars/3

GIMP GUI + Compiz scale plugin = fantastic :D

Frak
November 12th, 2008, 03:38 AM
Until recently, I'd made peace with the GIMP layout and decided I could live with it. But recently, I've realized there's a lot of VERY good reasons why it works like it does... now I love how they do it, and hope it never changes to the photoshop style gui.

It's worth noting that until CS4 photoshop on mac behaved in a similar way to GIMP. They changed this behaviour with CS4, and it's caused a whole lot of usability problems. Read these two pages of the arstechnica review for details:

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/adobe-cs4-review.ars/2
http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/adobe-cs4-review.ars/3

GIMP GUI + Compiz scale plugin = fantastic :D
Even better, if you run lipo <application here> -thin powerpc -output, it'll shrink the CS4 Photoshop executable by around 200MB for me.