PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Partitionning options for terabyte hard disks

damien.depluvrez
November 11th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Hello everyone,

I just finished refreshing one of my machines with a clean install of Ubuntu Server 8.10 (x86-64), to act as a Samba file server.
Everything goes well during installation, like a breeze ;), and the server boots fine once set up.

I've got a question regarding the partitionning of the data disks I use.
These are Hitachi 7K1000 1TB SATA drives. There are 4 of them, each containing a single primary partition of 1TB.
These are used solely as data drives under /mediadisks, the /, swap and /home are on another disk.

If I partition these drives on Mac OS X Leopard using Disk Utility, and format them as HFS+, the formated capacity comes about roughly 931GB, which is the normal formatted capacity for such drives.

If I use the partitionner that runs when installing Ubuntu Server, (i believe it's called partman, not sure about that), choosing 'Manual' and selecting the following options :

- Create a single 1TB primary partition
- format it as a ext3 FS
- Mounting it under /mediadisk with these options : noexec, nosuid, noatime
- with 0% reserved blocks for the super-user (this disk will only be used for data)
- Setting the usage parameter to 'standard'

Then when the system is installed, issuing a df -h shows me :

/dev/sdb1 917G 200M 917G 1% /mediadisk

Or, using df -H (mind the case) :

/dev/sdb1 985G 200M 985G 1% /mediadisk

Thus my 1TB disk has lost some 25GB somewhere when being formatted ?! :confused:
But wait, there is more !

If I re-run the installation, and choose the following options when partitionning the drive (what has changed is in bold):

- Create a single 1TB primary partition
- format it as a ext3 FS
- Mounting it under /mediadisk with these options : noexec, nosuid, noatime
- with 0% reserved blocks for the super-user (this disk will only be used for data)
- Setting the usage parameter to 'largefile'

In this case, once the system installed, a df -h says :

/dev/sdb1 932G 200M 932G 1% /mediadisk

Or, with df -H :

/dev/sdb1 1.0T 200M 1.0T 1% /mediadisk

Thus this largefile option during formatting allows me to use the full capacity of my disk, namely 932GB.
I get the same capacity as if it was formatted using another system (e.g. Mac OS X Leopard as HFS+, or even Windows XP as NTFS)

The same problem exists when I want to partition and format the backup disk (Same 1TB drive, this time in a external USB2.0 enclosure),
using the classic procedure fdisk / mkfs -t ext3 -m 0 / mount, the now mounted backup disk says it only has 917GB available.

Is there a way to tell fdisk (or mkfs) to switch in 'largefile' mode, as the partitioner used during install, and the reclaim those lost 25GB ?

Any help appreciated !

Pumalite
November 11th, 2008, 12:39 PM
1 gb=1024 mb

damien.depluvrez
November 11th, 2008, 01:33 PM
1 gb=1024 mb

Yeah, I still know my binary ;)

That's why i posted the output of df -h and df-H : the first outputs in powers of 2, the other one in powers of 10.

As you can see, 932GB (powers of 2, classic good ol' binary : 1GB = 1024MB) corresponds to 1TB (powers of 10, marketing speech : 1GB = 1000MB),

but 917 binary Gigabytes sitll gives me 985 marketing Gigabytes ;)

The thing i'm puzzled with is how the 'largefile' usage parameter affects the formatted capacity.
I'm prety sure it has to do with inodes or something like that, but how can I tell fdisk or mkfs that it's this 'largefile' mode I want to work with ? I searched in forums, even manpages, but found nothing ...

damien.depluvrez
November 23rd, 2008, 05:40 PM
So, I finally found how that 'largefile' option affects the file system 8).
it's the mkfs.ext3 -T option, and yes it has to do with inodes.
As I understand, the inode_ratio (amount of MB per inode) is set much higher, thus creating less inodes and therefore leaving more capacity to the disk, rather than using that space to create inodes.