PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Disable 60 second shut down timer?

Ed.Corcoran
November 11th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Does anyone know how to disable the 60 second timer in the new shutdown menu? My tower is below my desk, so I accidentally bump into the power button all the time. I've already had the computer shut off twice accidentally since I upgraded to Ibex and its getting really annoying.

I like the new shutdown menu and all, but I just can't stand the 60 auto-shutdown timer.

Ed.Corcoran
November 12th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Bump.

binbash
November 12th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I am looking for a solution to this also.

Ed.Corcoran
November 14th, 2008, 04:25 AM
Bumping again. Anyone have an idea?

binbash
November 14th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Bump

Ed.Corcoran
November 15th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Sigh. Bump.

skullmunky
November 17th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Hi, I don't have a solution exactly because i'm not using Ibex yet - but I had a similar knees-bumping problem with an Antec case with overly sensitive power buttons: change the BIOS settings so you have to hold the power button down for a while before it does anything; and physically disconnect the reset button.

Ed.Corcoran
November 18th, 2008, 05:58 AM
I bet you have the same Antec case I do. It's metal, with power buttons and USB ports right on the top.
I've physically disconnected the reset button already. That was a major problem. I was always accidentally hard rebooting my computer. The reset button went straight to the bios with no feedback from the OS. At least the power button triggers the OS rather than just going off.
Right now, I have it set in the BIOS that holding the power button turns the computer off hard, useful if the machine is totally frozen. I don't want to loose that, but it's not the end of the world. I can always flip the on/off power switch on the power supply.

Still, a fix to this new "feature" in Intrepid would be ideal.

Ed.Corcoran
November 18th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Also, if anyone out there can point me to the config files for the shut down program, I can probably figure it out myself pretty quickly. But I just dont' have the time right now to go fishing around in /usr/ trying to find a config file of a program I dont' even know the exact name of.

Ed.Corcoran
November 22nd, 2008, 10:46 PM
Bumping again.

hictio
November 22nd, 2008, 11:38 PM
I believe we should start taking bets on this one :D ...
And perhaps on this one as well: Location of Desktop settings for New User (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=975914)

skullmunky
November 23rd, 2008, 03:21 AM
I bet you have the same Antec case I do. It's metal, with power buttons and USB ports right on the top.

:) this one?
http://www.antec.com/usa/productDetails.php?lan=us&id=81602

I like it other than that little annoyance. Although it was a pain having to buy a special internal cable to connect the 1394 port on the front. And in the end I don't know what's so great about being able to rotate that little top part 15 degrees....

Ed.Corcoran
November 23rd, 2008, 03:24 AM
Almost. Mine has an aluminum side panel rather than a clear one.
I wasted a bunch of time trying to get the 1394 port on the front to work with my motherboard until I realized that I never use 1394 anyway. :)

shcaesar
November 23rd, 2008, 08:45 AM
Got the same question

Ed.Corcoran
November 29th, 2008, 07:44 AM
Bump.

jmacx81
November 29th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I'll bump that

Ed.Corcoran
December 6th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Bumping again. Somebody has to know something. Anything.

Zorael
December 6th, 2008, 04:58 AM
Well, you could disable the button, I guess. In Power Management -> General tab -> When the power button is pressed.

jmacx81
December 6th, 2008, 05:50 AM
I'll bump again, I think there has to be a better fix to that. I just haven't found anything yet either.

Ed.Corcoran
December 6th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I tried that, but Power Management only gives me "Ask Me" as an option. I can't turn the button off in the BIOS either, so it's probably a poor design choice in my motherboard. I had to unplug the reset button from the motherboard because it became a problem (it hard reset when you touched it). I can't do that for the power button, because I need it to turn the computer on.

adult swim
December 7th, 2008, 01:15 PM
hey guys, found your thread when searching for another one. this solution came up using gconf-editor. you can disable the power button from there with the nothing option and i guess shutdown with sudo shutdown -h now from a terminal.
http://ph.ubuntuforums.com/showthread.php?t=873892 post 3

Ed.Corcoran
December 7th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Thanks! That fixes my problem in an even better way. I never intentionally try to shut down my PC by pressing the power button, so this is exactly the way I want it work. I can still shut down from the System menu, so I don't need to shut down from the terminal.

yeeshkull
October 17th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Here's the proper way to disable the shutdown timer:

1) Right click on red "Power" button (top right hand corner of screen).

2) Select "Preferences".

3) Uncheck "Show confirm dialogs..." box (3rd one down).

4) Hit "Close" and you're done.

sports fan Matt
October 17th, 2009, 02:04 AM
I don't see that in Karmic.

dani.savu
October 23rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
@yeeshkull: That worked in Jaunty, but not in Karmic

This command line does the trick in Karmic:

gconftool-2 -s '/apps/indicator-session/suppress_logout_restart_shutdown' --type bool true

brookie
October 31st, 2009, 10:24 PM
Sweet! That was driving me nuts in Karmic. I started gconf-editor in the terminal and went to /apps/indicator-sussion and clicked the box suppress_logout_restart_shutdown instead of running the command line above. There was a way in intrepid to start gconf-editor with a GUI from the menu, like Run or something?
Thanks again,
brook

Bayu
November 20th, 2009, 03:43 AM
@yeeshkull: That worked in Jaunty, but not in Karmic

This command line does the trick in Karmic:

gconftool-2 -s '/apps/indicator-session/suppress_logout_restart_shutdown' --type bool true
That works perfectly, but how can we change the timer? (e.g to 5 secs)