PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Video a problem upon installation

SkyLord77
November 11th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Hello all,

I'm somewhat of a novice with PC's, but I do know enough to get myself into trouble.

I'm currently running Vista and successfully partitioned off 40 gigs on my HD to another HD with the drive letter L.

I am trying to install Ubuntu 8.10 64 bit. When I boot from the CD everything goes hunky dory until Ubuntu attempts to install. One of my monitors goes black, and the other.... Well it looks almost like something out of the Matrix. There are lines of odd color with random characters floating around. Nothing is distinguishable.

I'm tried just running Ubuntu from the CD, as well as installing it. I've even tried installing version 7.10, and as well the 32 bit version of 8.10.

I think I should also point out that I have tried plugging my monitor to the onboard slot and instead of displaying Matrix graphics as I call them it shows that my PC is not on and my monitor goes into power save mode.

This is what I have on my pc.

My motherboard is a Dell model # ORY206

My proc is a AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Proc 4000+ Brisbane

My video card is a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS.

Is there a hardware conflict somewhere that I'm missing?

I'm sorry to ask such a newbie question, but I'm really stumped.

Thank you all in advance,

Keith

PS This may be something simple, but I'm suffering from a neurological disease currently and my mind can't comprehend what it once did.

SkyLord77
November 11th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Please. Someone must know what's going on.

SkyLord77
November 11th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Pretty please?

SkyLord77
November 11th, 2008, 10:14 PM
NM. I finally got it. I had to choose a "safe" video display mode. Dur. I can't believe I didn't try that.