PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu, Windows 2000, Wireless printing, and DVD playback

justin92089
November 11th, 2008, 02:21 AM
Okay, so I want to put Ubuntu on an HP Pavilion n5190 laptop (700mhz pentium3/384mbram/10gb hard drive). Should I use 8.04 or 8.10? A lot of people seem to have sound issues with 8.10.

Also, will this system be able to print to a printer that is shared wirelessly via an airport extreme base station? (printer is an hp officejet plugged directly into wireless router)

Can I install Ubuntu without have to trash the Windows 2000 install currently on this laptop? i.e. is it possible to create a partition without having to reformat the hard drive? Kinda like my apple's bootcamp software did to install Windows XP on my macbook.

Finally, is it possible to play DVD videos in Ubuntu now? My last attempt at it on a Sony Vaio pcg-f430 (nightmare) running some version of Ubuntu 7.x was highly unsuccessful.

One last question: Is the flash video performance of websites like youtube up to par on linux? I know that performance of the mac version is far less than that of the windows version and was curious if linux got the same treatment from adobe as macs get.

Thanks in advance!

cariboo
November 11th, 2008, 03:05 AM
With only a 10Gb hard drive, you are going to have a hard time squeezing two operating systems on it. A fully working Intrepid installation is about 3Gb, and with only 348Mb ram you are going to need a swap partiton, which should be double the amount of ram.

Something to think about.

Jim

justin92089
November 11th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Right now I have 7.36GB available at the moment. I use my macbook for all my media, so I don't need all that much space on this computer (it's amazing how quickly one's iTunes library can grow to over 20gb). So that being said, is it possible to partition this drive without having to reformat (and thus lose the Windows 2000 installation)?