PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10 Setup/Install problems on Asus EEE 701 Laptop

charliebrownau
November 10th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Currently I am trying to install Ubuntu 8.10 onto
my Asus EEE 701 Laptop

The laptop is my OS trail computer were I see what
works on the EEE and what Linux/Windows/Other Alt os's
I like , might like.

Ive installed pre Ubuntu and Debian Linux's in the past
and they have worked .

Current Problem:

The Ubuntu 8.10 Setup/Install program does NOT support
the Asus EEE 701 screen very well at all .

Is it possible upon the Ubuntu 8.10 boot prompt screen to tell it at the command line to just choose:
640 × 480 at 16 bit at 60 hz

Something simple and works with a lot of screens
Just so I can click and SEE all the buttons on the bottom of the screen .

The install program was going okay with me able to JUST see the icons to select next but after it prompted me to remove _ from the user name section it re adjusted everything .

NO I don't want to connect a external screen , it should work with the EEE's built in screen .

Thanks in advance for any helpfull suggestions to allow me to get Ubuntu 8.10 installing on the EEE 701 laptop

branter
November 12th, 2008, 08:42 PM
I've installed 8.10 on my 701 a few times now. If you maximize the install window and click on it anywhere with the mouse/touchpad, it will shift back and forth from the bottom to the top of the window allowing you to see the buttons. Then you'll have to use the keyboard's tab, enter, and space keys to enter whatever you need to and move the installation along. Hard to explain but try and you'll see. It was way quicker just to do this then try and actually change the resolution.

mac.ryan
February 11th, 2009, 01:12 AM
"It should be noted that due to the small display and lower resolution the Ubuntu installer does not fit within the confines of the screen. You'll need to use your ALT key in combination with dragging the mouse to move the active windows around in order to find the "Next" buttons. Also, as Ubuntu 7.10 activates basic Compiz features by default, the ALT-drag method does not work without de-activating Compiz. Simply navigate to "System > Preferences > Appearance" Go to the "Visual Effects" tab and set the effects to none. This will turn off Compiz and allow you to ALT-drag your windows in order to function."

From: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC/Installation