PDA

View Full Version : Sharing data between Kontact and a Mac

calibre97
November 10th, 2008, 11:38 PM
I'm very interested in 'living in Kontact' but I'm running Ibex and Mandriva on my HP laptop. I have a Mac OS X desktop that I sit at, a lot, and so I'd like something that can live as a go-between for Kontact and the Mac.
Here's my environment:
=Yahoo hosting of my own domain name
=Yahoo Mail
=Thunderbird on laptop for archiving email (I know I shoulda left all email on Yahoo and setup IMAP clients all around, but I didn't, so let's leave email out of this setup. I'm happy with Yahoo-based email, with grabs to Thunderbird for storage-I backup my computers to multiple secondary storage devices)
=Mac desktop for iCal, AddressBook bulk entry and storage and for syncing to my iPod touch for PIM data on the go.

I'd ideally like something that would allow me to sync Kontact data with the Mac apps, or something that runs on the Mac that syncs with an iPod Touch that would sync with Kontact.

I'm willing to entertain using another computer as a groupware server that acts as the go-between so that Kontact can sync data and Mac apps can sync data, but this is pretty heavy: get computer, setup server (I've heard about Kolab), setup client software to access server.

Finally, I suppose I could run a VM on my Mac (currently a dual 1GHz G5 so no Intel-joy) and run Yellow Dog in there but I'd still have the issue of syncing data between that machine and the laptop.

Any ideas, or should I consign myself to only being able to do data entry on the laptop and only have basic PIM (addresses, that don't change very much) on the iPod touch? I do not relish re-entering todo's in Kontact and iCal just to have them on the go. Nor do I much relish the hodgepodge I'm beginning to picture now:
-current/recent email in any browser and all email in Thunderbird on laptop
-Calendar in iCal and Kontact sync'd with Google Calendar in the middle
-To dos, journal, etc only in Kontact on laptop.

Hmmm, maybe that's not so unwieldy after all.