PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Go Back to 8.04

Nirliq
November 10th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I was using 8.04 and I liked it. I went ahead and let this new 8.10 update from the Auto-update now I can't get at any of my Samba drives, Firefox is like watching paint dry, I get an "Unsupported Platform" message when I try to get into my Network settings and the there is a message in the Network Settings the I need to Click the "Administrator Mode Button". There is no Administrator Mode Button!

Was there a rush to get this OS out? How do i go back to 8.04? :confused:

Thanks

eldragon
November 10th, 2008, 11:34 PM
I was using 8.04 and I liked it. I went ahead and let this new 8.10 update from the Auto-update now I can't get at any of my Samba drives, Firefox is like watching paint dry, I get an "Unsupported Platform" message when I try to get into my Network settings and the there is a message in the Network Settings the I need to Click the "Administrator Mode Button". There is no Administrator Mode Button!

Was there a rush to get this OS out? How do i go back to 8.04? :confused:

Thanks

you will have to install from scratch...

slakkie
November 11th, 2008, 12:42 AM
Install from scratch.. Hope you have your /home located on a different slice. Backup your /etc directory (maybe copy it to your homedir).

Good luck!

jimv
November 11th, 2008, 12:54 AM
For the love of God, the upgrade feature is a pile of poo. It's probably the number one cause of screwed up installations. Can we get rid of it yet?

phersotty
November 11th, 2008, 02:42 AM
No question just some comments and observations.

I also did the auto update to upgrade to 8.10 this weekend. It said it would take 4 hours, but it was closer to 5 or 6 because the script started asking questions. I can't remember if they were errors or Yes/No questions. Anyway, it hogged my bandwidth while it downloaded all the necessary files so I couldn't use my computer as normal while the upgrade was being performed.

When the upgrade was complete I rebooted my computer to discover that my graphics driver was disabled. For some reason 8.04 and 8.10 don't like my AGP Nvidia 9700 so in both versions I have to install the driver from the Nvidia site. After I fixed my graphics driver I was surprised to learn that my old KDE session was gone! As far as I can tell my only choice for KDE is 4.0 :confused: We all know Linux is about choice and it seems that the Ubuntu upgrade makes some of those choices for us. I had a really sweet custom KDE session setup before with custom panels, Super Karamba, Kiba Dock, AWN, Compiz,etc... In 8.04 I had the choice at the login screen between the original KDE and the new KDE 4.0 now its just 4.0 I don't think the upgrade should have wiped out the old KDE I would prefer to still have both to choose from.

CONCLUSION:

Overall, I am not convinced that using the built in upgrade is any better than downloading the complete iso especially when upgrade took so long to download. At least with the iso I can create a Live DVD of 8.10 test it out and then decide if I really wanna upgrade or stick with what I've got.

jimv
November 11th, 2008, 03:28 AM
Yeah, I tried the upgrade once from 7.04 to 7.10 and I never tried it again.

My method now is to try the LiveCD to see if the new release boots without any major issues. Then I install the new release onto it's own partition. Then I migrate all my settings from my home folder over. If everything works good, I wait a few weeks until I'm comfortable and then remove the partition with the old release on it.

hendoc
November 11th, 2008, 04:19 AM
I burned the iso for 8.10, installed, and it would not let me on the web. The network manager said NEVER for connection type. I never did get it to change. I reinstalled 8.04 from the disk and figured I'd try it again with the upgrade . I still have not been able to initiate the upgrade. Maybe I'll give them a few weeks at least to get it together. Staying with Hardy is not a problem. I love it.