PDA

View Full Version : The web dilemma

l.tambiah
December 2nd, 2005, 12:17 AM
I'm posting this message to see how any other people may get around the dilema that i face. I use 100% GNU/Linux for my OS, and wish to not to use anything else. At current i am developing a web blog using Wordpress. However as i only use Linux i can only test my site in firefox and various other open source browsers. As much as i would love to not cater for IE i feel i should as it dominates 90% of the browser maket share (unfortunately). I need to hack my website to work with both.

Is there any browsers that act like IE for testing?

teaker1s
December 2nd, 2005, 12:24 AM
Konqueror can tell a website its ie but it doesn't work like IE
IE is based on mozilla so I'd suggest mozilla but be prepared for IE to be some what different as it has evolved along a seperate path

bonzodog
December 2nd, 2005, 12:44 AM
I would ask friends and relatives to open it in windows for you, and persuade one or two to let you have access to their systems for 5 minutes so you can see how it's coming along.

ubuntu27
December 2nd, 2005, 01:07 AM
How about using Internet Explorer under Wine?

xequence
December 2nd, 2005, 02:46 AM
IE is based on mozilla so I'd suggest mozilla but be prepared for IE to be some what different as it has evolved along a seperate path

Internet Explorer is in no way based on Mozilla.

Way back when, IE and netscape were the two most popular browsers. Netscape got basically killed by microsoft, then years and years later Mozilla made the Mozilla Suite from netscape. People thought it got too bloated and made firefox from it.

GreyFox503
December 2nd, 2005, 08:49 AM
The word "dilema" here is appropriate.

So you want a Free browser that renders pages just like IE, but is not IE? Nothing I can think of will do that.

Others have suggested running it under wine, but it sounds like you don't want to do that on principle.

The only browser that's going to guarantee behaving like IE is.... IE.

You could just try using a friend's computer to view your page (too obvious), or you could remote desktop to a Windows PC with the right software (although that might be too clumsy).

l.tambiah
December 2nd, 2005, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the replies, it is most appreciated, though i must agree IE is not based on Mozilla. Mozilla is based on the Geko engine. If IE was based on Geko we wouldnt have these problems in the first place. So Microsoft get your Browser standard compliant!!!!!!!

Maybe i could design the site for firefox (i believe most users of the site will be firefox users anyway) but it is bad practise to assume this. However once the site has been formed using firefox i could then apply hacks to the code to make it work with IE. I could do this at work when i get spare time sometmes.

public_void
December 2nd, 2005, 10:40 AM
I not totally sure but another browser uses IE's render engine and I can't remember what its called. I had a look on Google and it maybe Maxthon, but again I not sure. The problem is it a Windows browser so your'll have to use Wine. If not then you'll have to use IE, how ever painful that may be.