PDA

View Full Version : This really annoys me, people think Workstation GPUs are good for gaming b/c of $

Lord Xeb
November 10th, 2008, 10:46 PM
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/nvidia_thumps_chest_with_quadro_fx_5800_worlds_fir st_4gb_videocard#comment-13666

This is a workstation GPU and people always think that just because it is expensive, that it can play games. e_e so annoy that I wish I had a dollar for each time I have seen this.

derekr44
November 11th, 2008, 12:44 AM
Yeah. Hardest part to teach about computer graphics is...

CAD <> Counter-Strike

Grant A.
November 11th, 2008, 12:49 AM
All the things gaming PCs really boil down to are the monitor's response time, graphics card, memory, and RAM. Other than that, it doesn't matter much.

Lord Xeb
November 11th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Yes, but a lot of people go for workstation graphics cards because they cost a nice penny, so they go by the philosophy, "If it costs that much, it must be good." I should know because the idiot who put together the gaming machine of mine used a FireGL card instead of a card that was same price but much better e_e and ment for gaming.

waapwoop1
November 11th, 2008, 01:39 AM
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/nvidia_thumps_chest_with_quadro_fx_5800_worlds_fir st_4gb_videocard#comment-13666

This is a workstation GPU and people always think that just because it is expensive, that it can play games. e_e so annoy that I wish I had a dollar for each time I have seen this.

Just because you know these things, doesn't mean other people do. Imagine how many people get annoyed at you for things you don't know. how many people think you too, are stupid

zmjjmz
November 11th, 2008, 02:48 AM
Just because you know these things, doesn't mean other people do. Imagine how many people get annoyed at you for things you don't know. how many people think you too, are stupid

Well these people are supposed to know what they're talking about, and they quite clearly don't.

Greyed
November 11th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Well these people are supposed to know what they're talking about, and they quite clearly don't.

Uhhh, what? Did you click on the link? MaximumPC, the people you're referring to, didn't mention gaming. They mentioned the display of medical and gas exploration data as possible uses for the card. It was the people in the comments which showed the ignorance of applying it to gaming. I don't think you can uniformly apply your comment to random joes off the street leaving comments on the site. ;)

Lord Xeb
November 11th, 2008, 03:53 AM
I agree with you on that one. The will do well in that area. But why use a card ment for that for gamin is out of my league. There is no reason to do so e_e

kernelhaxor
November 11th, 2008, 07:01 AM
All the things gaming PCs really boil down to are the monitor's response time, graphics card, memory, and RAM. Other than that, it doesn't matter much.

Add CPU power to that too .. there are some games which need powerful CPUs too!

mips
November 11th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I should know because the idiot who put together the gaming machine of mine used a FireGL card instead of a card that was same price but much better e_e and ment for gaming.

Why did you not spec your components?

Lord Xeb
November 11th, 2008, 10:25 PM
because I do not know it and my parents have the damn thing so locked down I can not do jack on it. e_e And I do not fell like doing a live cd to get it because it isn't important. It has a 128MB FireGL GPU in it and an AMD Athlon 64 running at 3GHz and 1GB of ram. 80GB HD. That is all I know. I could have gotten a gaming card that has 256-512 MB of RAM in it for the sam price as that FireGL piece of crap...