PDA

View Full Version : Canonical support?

kevin11951
November 10th, 2008, 10:40 PM
My father and I are opening an actual office store front for out tech business (http://fjstech.com). I was wondering if the $750 contract from canonical for support is worth it? We will be using three servers running Ubuntu server edition... We only have $7,000 to spend on EVERYTHING, so spending $750 on support is a little painful.

ssam
November 10th, 2008, 11:04 PM
maybe you could find a local company that offered cheaper support.

do you need 3 servers? could you max the specs on one computer and use virtualization?

maybe you could wait until you need the support and then buy it.

also support fees pay developers to make ubuntu better. so thats a good reason to pay them.

kevin11951
November 10th, 2008, 11:11 PM
no, we need three :(

one will run 4 copies of windows xp over rdp via virtualbox

the other will be a web/mail server

and the other will be a file/print server

i might be able to squish the last two together, but i need at least two...

Mason Whitaker
November 10th, 2008, 11:17 PM
You really can't go wrong with Canonical support ( help with setting up your server, ect ).
But then again, you could probably go without, and if you have any troubles, I'm sure there are some people on these forums that could help you.

Supposing this isn't going to be that big of a business ( well lets hope it will eventually! ), you're probably better off not getting it with your current finanical situation.

If your business does take off, there wouldn't be a problem in getting Canonical support then.

kevin11951
November 10th, 2008, 11:34 PM
You really can't go wrong with Canonical support ( help with setting up your server, ect ).
But then again, you could probably go without, and if you have any troubles, I'm sure there are some people on these forums that could help you.

Supposing this isn't going to be that big of a business ( well lets hope it will eventually! ), you're probably better off not getting it with your current finanical situation.

If your business does take off, there wouldn't be a problem in getting Canonical support then.

thank you very much for hoping...

although i am very scared that it will, and then i will have to be a sysadmin for more than 5 people.

also, the problem i am scared of, is setting up a mail server (never set that up before). so, do you think canonical would help me setup a mail server?

kernelhaxor
November 10th, 2008, 11:46 PM
If its only file/ftp server and mail server, may be you could manage it urself using help from people in these forums and other online resources?
if you need small things done, like just setting up a mail server or securing something, you could always hire freelancers to do a one time job for ya .. that'll be a lot cheaper than 750$ .. Once the business really takes off, I would buy support ..
Good luck with your venture!

I really think u can run both mail server and ftp/file server in one box (not sure how much u r expecting but u can always buy additional boxes when u see the load increasing) .. anyway my 2 cents

kevin11951
November 11th, 2008, 12:04 AM
If its only file/ftp server and mail server, may be you could manage it urself using help from people in these forums and other online resources?
if you need small things done, like just setting up a mail server or securing something, you could always hire freelancers to do a one time job for ya .. that'll be a lot cheaper than 750$ .. Once the business really takes off, I would buy support ..
Good luck with your venture!

I really think u can run both mail server and ftp/file server in one box (not sure how much u r expecting but u can always buy additional boxes when u see the load increasing) .. anyway my 2 cents

where would i get one of there "freelancers"?

kernelhaxor
November 11th, 2008, 02:01 AM
where would i get one of there "freelancers"?

Getafreelancer.com

rentacoder.com, getacoder.com , lots more .. but I think getafreelancer.com is the biggest one .. basically service providers will bid on the project you post and you can select any bidder you want .. they hav a rating system too so you can select a reliable service provider ..

Linuturk
November 11th, 2008, 03:06 AM
If you are planning on administrating this network yourself, you really need to invest the time to learn these things yourself.

kool_kat_os
November 11th, 2008, 03:47 AM
If you are planning on administrating this network yourself, you really need to invest the time to learn these things yourself.

You took the words out of my mouth...

I am the system admin for a large hotel. I had to learn how to set up alot of things...( pretty much what youre doing)

It was pretty easy because there are ALOT of resources on the interent...and of course...these forums