PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Repositories are stuck.. can't get e.g. skype etc. installed at all

arcticmagnolia
November 10th, 2008, 09:43 PM
I previously had Ubuntustudio 7.04 & decided to install Ubuntustudio 8.1. The first problem I encountered was the network settings: Installation cd autoconfigured them & my Internet did not work because I live in a place where we have to use static ip (& other settings). So the FIRST problem was that I COULDN'T find anywhere in Ubuntu 8.1. to change those settings! Unbelievable.. :shock: Only place with any connection to network settings was System -> Administration -> Networking Tools but I couldn't get them changed there.

Well, I re-installed the whole thing and manually, during installation, put the ip-addresses etc. It worked. I got Firefox running & I was so relieved.
But...

The Problem:
I would like to install software like skype, xmms ... etc. but they won't get installed because my computer can't connect to repositories. If I apt-get skype all I get is something like this:
Error -address of the repository- can't fetch the package: 80 (0.0.31.144). -connect (22 erranous argument)
I must apologize I can't put the exact text here, 'cos my Ubuntu's language is set to Finnish.

At first, with the installation of 8.1. I couldn't get Synaptic to load any web repositories but then I realized that I had to add a proxy (my Internet connection needs a proxy to work, this setting is actually already defined in system settings so I didn't realize that I had to set it again in Synaptic) to Synaptic Settings. Now I've got like one repository that works (don't know which -I have installed trillion repositories to my repositories-list) but it's of no help since I can get any software installed with it.

Can anyone help me? I'm getting desperate.](*,) I'm actually thinking seriously to move back to version 7.04 because at least a) it worked and b) you can change Internet settings with ease with it. Help!

arcticmagnolia
November 10th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I got it figured out! The problem was with AptProxy.
This helped:
sudo gedit /etc/apt/apt.conf

and I changed this...
Acquire::http::Proxy "address";
to this:
Acquire::Proxy "address";
(and last thing I did: sudo apt-get update)

So far so good... :)! Things seem to be working now!