PDA

View Full Version : [Java] The strange behaviour of gcj

Bichromat
November 10th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Hi,
I was testing java's speed with the following code (2000x2000 matrix product) which outputs the time taken by the operation:

class Hello{
public static void main(String[] args){

int msize=2000;

double[][] A = new double[msize][msize];
double[][] B = new double[msize][msize];
double[][] C = new double[msize][msize];

int i, j;
long t1, t2;

for(i=0 ; i<msize ; i++){
for(j=0 ; j<msize ; j++){
A[i][j] = Math.random();
B[i][j] = Math.random();
C[i][j] = 0.;
}
}

t1 = System.nanoTime();
mult(A,B,C);
t2 = System.nanoTime();

System.out.println(1.e-9 * (t2 - t1));

}

public static void mult(double[][] A, double[][] B, double[][] C){
int msize = A.length;
int i,j,k;
for(i=0 ; i<msize ; i++){
for(k=0 ; k<msize ; k++){
for(j=0 ; j<msize ; j++){
C[i][j] += A[i][k] * B[k][j];
}
}
}
}
}

Now, if I compile with Sun's javac:

$ javac Hello.java
$ java Hello
It takes the same time as an unoptimized C version. The executable I get with gcj is a bit faster:

$ gcj --main=Hello -O3 Hello.java
$ ./a.out
But, if I use gcj-wrapper with Sun's java:

$ gcj-wrapper -O3 Hello.java
$ java Hello
I get a speed close to an optimized C version (compiled with gcc, it takes around 15 s on my machine). gcj-wrapper with gij took so long I stopped the program before completion.

Is this behaviour normal?

Zugzwang
November 11th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Is this behaviour normal?

Good question. I must admit that I cannot find out (by googling) what gcj-wrapper is actually doing. The man page just states that it's a wrapper. Do you have more information on that? Otherwise, it's not *too* likely that you will get good answers on that question here (since I would assume that the rest of use here won't know either).

Bichromat
November 11th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Good question. I must admit that I cannot find out (by googling) what gcj-wrapper is actually doing. The man page just states that it's a wrapper. Do you have more information on that? Otherwise, it's not *too* likely that you will get good answers on that question here (since I would assume that the rest of use here won't know either).

The only thing I know about gcj-wrapper is that it creates a .class whereas gcj creates a native executable. gcj-wrapper seems to force 'java' to optimize the code.