PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] upgrading hardy to ibex except the xorg and ati drivers

rattamayhorka
November 10th, 2008, 07:51 PM
i try in my laptop intrepid ibex but i can't make my graphic card (ati radeon hd2400) works fine. and i wondering if can i upgrading all the system except the drivers of my graphics card because .
i have installed hardy heron in this moment and works fine for me. but i like to have all the new stuff of intrepid (sorry for my english)

cariboo
November 10th, 2008, 08:12 PM
When upgrading make sure to upgrade the kernel too. As the new drivers will not work with any kernel less than 2.6.27-X. I seen a lot of people that when installing the new kernel they elect to leave grub as it is, so that the newer kernel is not being used. Personally I always do a clean install as opposed to an upgrade, becuase there always seeem to be issues that take more time to resolve then a clean installation.

Jim

torgrot
November 10th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Normally, I would agree that a clean install is better, but in this instance I don't think so. My experience was that my ATI2400HD was not detected or set up properly from a clean install. However when I did an upgrade it detected it perfectly and installed the proper drivers.

torgrot

rattamayhorka
November 11th, 2008, 12:30 AM
thanks for the replies but torgrot can you tell me how do you do the upgrade please, it was a distro upgrade or just a few packages... and how i do that.