PDA

View Full Version : Help - Recovering data from disks of the dead HDD

jeyaganesh
November 10th, 2008, 06:07 PM
My HDD died few months ago. I tried lot with recovery tools and knoppix linux live CD. After everything failed, I opened my HDD. Then I found the HDD head is loosely attached and broken. Now I have two disks inside the HDD. Is it possible to recover data, if I mount these disks in an another good working HDD? :roll:

Thanks in advance!

Daveski
November 10th, 2008, 06:10 PM
Very unlikely unless you have a clean-room environment to work in. HDD are sealed for a reason - a pro recovery service *might* be able to clean the platters and remount in a new unit, but this is likely to be megabucks.

iponeverything
November 10th, 2008, 06:11 PM
This has been done using identical drives. I saw it on slashdot.

JohnFH
November 10th, 2008, 06:13 PM
It might be possible but highly unlikely to work. Hard disks use precision technology and are certainly not designed to support users mucking about with their innards. The very likely outcome is that you'll end up with two broken hard disks. If you really need the data on the first hard disk then you'll have to fork out a lot of money to a professional data recovery company and even then there will be no guarantee you'll get your data back.

iponeverything
November 10th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I get it.. so why even try.

http://www.harddrive-repair.com/head-swap-platter-swap.html

I have pulled off things many times, just because I tried.

directcharitycontribution
November 10th, 2008, 07:12 PM
perhaps u capillary

I get it.. so why even try.

http://www.harddrive-repair.com/head-swap-platter-swap.html

I have pulled off things many times, just because I tried.

got some power socket pin breakup on a regretfully abandoned hdd during a pc reassembly. maybe to borrow a b-keeper suit or some habit to do recovery.

jeyaganesh
November 10th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Thanks for your good information. Let me try with new HDD spare parts first. If doesnt work, I would buy some cheap HDD and try.
Actually I would like to retrieve some of my photos from the dead HDD.:guitar:

mips
November 10th, 2008, 08:13 PM
Is it possible to recover data, if I mount these disks in an another good working HDD? :roll:

Possible if they are identical. Success rate 'unknown'.

handy
November 10th, 2008, 11:06 PM
If you can get an identical model drive the success rate is quite good, provided you are good with your hands.

The vacuum routine is overrated, I have had drives apart & put them back together with no ill effects.

Maybe I was lucky, I tend to think any dust that finds its way on to the platters will be thrown off & stay off, when the drive spins up.

There is a fellow in Melbourne Australia, who collects old drives broken or otherwise, to sell to the data recovery people who make a motza recovering data for the corpy's.

smoker
November 10th, 2008, 11:36 PM
...Now I have two disks inside the HDD. Is it possible to recover data, if I mount these disks in an another good working HDD? :roll:

Thanks in advance!

i haven't done this myself, but have a look here: http://www.wikihow.com/Swap-Hard-Disk-Drive-Platters