PDA

View Full Version : Windows ... Actually Improving... What does that mean for linux?

sportman1280
November 10th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Well after reading http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/11/10/10-genuinely-kick-***-features-to-get-excited-about-in-windows-7/ I must say that windows looks like it finally pulling itself out of the gutter.

If they follow through on everything they have said, what do you think will happen? I believe that Ubuntu and Gnome will REALLY have to step and offer some big upgrades in the coming releases if they want to keep people around after Windows 7 comes out in 2009. The competition seems it got its head screwed on right... can we step up.

I am a FULL time linux user. I use Ubuntu at work, on my Dell E1705 and my Dell mini 9, however what i have read about windows 7... i may consider switching back... Especially with with the upgrades in Ubuntu seemingly getting smaller, as i feel that there was no big upgrade in intrepid.

What do you guys think?

Liviu-Theodor
November 10th, 2008, 03:11 PM
They said also about Vista a lot, like the Aero interface (what is seen is nothing to what it was advertised), a new filesystem (it is missing completely), and many more mising features from what they declared with big noise that will be implemented in Vista. So, if Microsoft representatives speaks something about the new wonderful features in Windows 7, all i can say is: be careful, as the real thing will have much less in it.

sportman1280
November 10th, 2008, 03:14 PM
Agreed. Completely. That's exactly the reason I stated, IF they follow through. :). But let's just SAY they don't choke. What do you think then?

kevin11951
November 10th, 2008, 03:16 PM
They said also about Vista a lot, like the Aero interface (what is seen is nothing to what it was advertised), a new filesystem (it is missing completely), and many more mising features from what they declared with big noise that will be implemented in Vista. So, if Microsoft representatives speaks something about the new wonderful features in Windows 7, all i can say is: be careful, as the real thing will have much less in it.

do you by any chance know of a site where they show everything Microsoft said was going to be in vista, and what actually was? (preferably in a table)

Sand & Mercury
November 10th, 2008, 03:17 PM
I hate to say it but I am really excited about Windows 7.

kellemes
November 10th, 2008, 03:26 PM
I hate to say it but I am really excited about Windows 7.

Cannot say I'm excited but if it proves to be doing it's job, I won't hesitate using it.
The last thing I want is having myself locked into some os, this includes linux.

veedubgent
November 10th, 2008, 03:27 PM

Agree totally. Except for one thing..come on lets truy to sove the problem of not getting a handheld to see ubuntu. Windows had the problem and solved it:

eldragon
November 10th, 2008, 03:36 PM
if windows is really improving, then that means the FOSS has been doing something right. otherwise there would be no motivation to make the extra effort.

apple may have something to do with this too :D

PartisanEntity
November 10th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Let us wait until Windows 7 comes out and see what people say about it, but I think healthy competition is good for all of us and it drives innovation.

If Microsoft learns from past mistakes and perhaps picks up on trends from the open source community then I would be happy for Windows users, and it would mean more innovation in the open source community, which is good for us.

Rhubarb
November 10th, 2008, 03:39 PM
These are all just my opinion:

10. Easier and better wireless networking
We've got this already in Intrepid

9. Device stage
Looks like it could be good, but imho it's mostly useless

8. Better battery life
Better battery life than vista is nothing impressive. Vista is a crazed battery hog.

7. Network file sharing is wicked fast
Samba is much faster than XP's sharing, I don't know about Vista's

6. Improved UAC
Sounds to me like they've taken more security out of it ... making it, well ... less secure

5. The new taskbar
Compiz / awn anyone? Nothing new for us here

4. WinMin
If it actually eventuates, it'd be nice for windows users, but nothing new here
From what I've read around, Windows7 will be using the vista kernel

3. Libraries
Sounds like a good idea, wouldn't know if it's any good in practice though
We have other good search tools here anyway

2. PC Safeguard
Sounds a lot like the new guest account feature in intrepid
But it's a little nicer (and somewhat pointless) I guess

1. The new image backup system
Finally, a decent backup system for windows users
We can do this too easily enough, but perhaps without a dedicated nice GUI for it

So, IMHO, this doesn't mean anything to linux, because we can get most of these features (and more other features) today for free!
If you want to wait 1+ years waiting for win 7 to come out, then you will probably find linux has all these features and more by the time win 7 is released ... except you can get linux for free!

Archmage
November 10th, 2008, 03:41 PM
But let's just SAY they don't choke. What do you think then?

I would look out for the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Skripka
November 10th, 2008, 03:42 PM

At least in terms of press noise made, they seem to have learned a lesson regarding that, they also have claimed that they need to release early and often. So they claim.

I have to say, I have used Vista now and again, and some things about it are a giant leap over XP, lots of shortfalls and annoyances. The catch with releasing early and often, is that when you are an expensive payware OS-your customers need to see and find a reason to spend money; otherwise they won't. The KDE devs can get away with a unfinished less than polished 4.0 release (example off the top of my head), Microsoft cannot.

Frankly, I don't know if it means anything as of yet-odds are regardless of Windows 7, Linux can be or will be more functional than whatever Microsoft cranks out-for no $$$$ cost....Odds are in one way or another whatever astounding new features are revealed in Win7 will be in Linux before Win7 hits the shelves.

For Microsoft and their OS it is kinda do or die.....the handling of "Longhorn" and later "Vista" was a big mistake in terms of R&D (on their end as well as what was forced upon driver writers) as well as PR, with the new OS not selling and taking over XP Microsoft has effectively written Vista off--the lesson learned is that "no you don't just have to write an OS and people will buy it, you have to write something that is worth the $$$$$$$ you charge-in the eyes of the consumer".

Cenotaph
November 10th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I don't think this will mean much for linux. Both OS have their place in the world, it's been like that for years and more years, and it won't change because of this. Besides, Microsoft's goal is to take some users back from MacOSX, not linux, and I think many netbooks will still adopt linux even if Windows 7 is a winner.

sportman1280
November 10th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I just hope that Ubuntu continues to improve. After Intrepid... I really am nervous about the future...

Skripka
November 10th, 2008, 03:54 PM
I just hope that Ubuntu continues to improve. After Intrepid... I really am nervous about the future...

MOST initial releases of OSes are less than stellar or perfect.

-MANY folks thought XP was a dumb idea when it was released, now you have problems tearing out of consumers cold and dead hands
-On the Apple end, most knowing people WARN early adopters of the new OSes to expect LOTS of bugs and annoyances.
-KDE4 is still moving forward and getting there, after widespread accusations of public beta testing with 4.0.0-even through now.

I like Ibex, rough spots on Ibex end, as well as on KDE's, but I like it and use it on a daily basis. YMMV, of course. *Buntu will keep moving forward so long as people put the effort into developing it and using it.....and so long as Microsoft charges $300 for an OS.

Cenotaph
November 10th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Well, intrepid didn't really bring any new exciting stuff, but it improved in stability over hardy, and with the 2.6.27 kernel i now have a great wireless driver for my bcm4318. Some ppl might disagree, but i think that ubuntu should really focus on the creation of a new look and new features now and i suspect they will, so...

Skripka
November 10th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Well, intrepid didn't really bring any new exciting stuff, but it improved in stability over hardy, and with the 2.6.27 kernel i now have a great wireless driver for my bcm4318. Some ppl might disagree, but i think that ubuntu should really focus on the creation of a new look and new features now and i suspect they will, so...

Go and bug the GNOME devs about it-they are the ones responsible for the DE. :KS There are more than a few threads here on the topic actually.

Redenbacher
November 10th, 2008, 04:09 PM
All I have to say about this is, don't beleive the hype. Start getting your hopes up when you can see first hand that Windows 7 will actually deliver.

eternalnewbee
November 10th, 2008, 04:15 PM
Well after reading http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/11...-in-windows-7/ I must say that windows looks like it finally pulling itself out of the gutter.

If they follow through on everything they have said, what do you think will happen? I believe that Ubuntu and Gnome will REALLY have to step and offer some big upgrades in the coming releases if they want to keep people around after Windows 7 comes out in 2009. The competition seems it got its head screwed on right... can we step up.

I am a FULL time linux user. I use Ubuntu at work, on my Dell E1705 and my Dell mini 9, however what i have read about windows 7... i may consider switching back... Especially with with the upgrades in Ubuntu seemingly getting smaller, as i feel that there was no big upgrade in intrepid.
I really don't care (nothing personal)

Riffer
November 10th, 2008, 04:20 PM
I really don't think it will matter much. Lets say for sake of argument that "7" is a good release, MS will be still in the same boat. The reasons that people will switch to Ubuntu/Linux will still be the same. We could list them in our sleep: cost, bloat, viruses and spyware, and the many other things that has set so many of to Linux over the years.

Plus with another year (and 2 more Ubuntu releases), and with hardware and software vendors realizing that they don't have to be tied to MS apron strings, Ubuntu/Linux will be in an increasingly strong position to increase their market share to a significant degree. No I don't think that Ubuntu/linux will suddenly take over top spot, that would take years if at all. No I mean it may be possible to achieve 5 to 10% in the next couple of years.

Pogeymanz
November 10th, 2008, 04:54 PM
I don't care one bit about Windows 7.

The fact of the matter is, it will still cost $200-$300 and Linux still costs $0. So, even if Windows could do something better than Linux, it would have to be WAY better for me to (after upgrading my RAM) shell out that kind of money for an OS.

So, even if Windows 7 is better than previous Windows versions, it still uses an inferior filesystem, still eats RAM and battery power, still phones home to Redmond in Big Brother fashion, and is still owned by a company that has way too much power to push around (and does).

The only thing that I've seen on Windows 7 that I think is actually a good idea is the special right-click menu for the tasks in the panel, and the maximizing a window when you push it to the top of the screen. Neither of which will probably make the final cut, which is a shame.

Linux isn't going anywhere. There are some people who are here only because they hated Vista. They can go back. A lot of us have used Linux since before Vista and we'll stick around after Windows 7 comes out.

HungryMan
November 10th, 2008, 05:07 PM
What does it mean to Linux? I don't know, and I don't think it'd mean much.
Windows should not pose a threat to Linux, and neither should Linux pose a threat to Windows.
As I see it Linux strives to be better than itself, rather than be better than others.

clanky
November 10th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I don't think that advances in Windows are necessarily a bad thing for Linux or other open source OS's.

XP was a good, stable system with lots of great features, Vista has eventually become (after a very inauspicious start) a good, stable operating system with lots of great features.

Both of these were (eventually) an improvement on the previous version and Linux continued to grow in popularity, so assuming that Windows 7 will be an improvement I do not think that it will harm Linux in the slightest.

Although the fact is occasionally lost in all the fanboy / zealot hype, the vast majority of Linux users do not use Linux because of some sort of pathological hatred of Windows / Microsoft. So the fact that Microsoft do something well should be seen as a step forward for operating systems in general rather than a step backwards for everything other than Windows.

hessiess
November 10th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Unless win 7:

Finally gets rid of the bloody device-orented filesystem, and lests you brake the filesystem over multiple partitions seamlessly.

Alows you to get rid of large parts of the GUI, including window borders and the taskbar.

Lets you use a tiling window manager.

Is comtroalable compleatly without the $%^& mouse.

And finally has a terminal thats actualy useable, them im not interested.

Ub1476
November 10th, 2008, 05:46 PM

Maybe you should check out KDE4 then. Looked a bit like Windows 7 even before MS released it (copycats).

Arch + KDEmod4 = beats Windows any day.

Mazza558
November 10th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Just because Ubuntu hasn't made much new ground since Hardy doesn't mean that there won't be a hip new distro to use in a year or two. i hear Fedora 10's pretty impressive at the moment. The problem is that Ubuntu's stagnating slightly from 2 successive releases with nothing groundbreaking. We really need to put all the effort we can into 9.0 Jaunty.

iponeverything
November 10th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Well after reading http://www.downloadsquad.com/2008/11/10/10-genuinely-kick-***-features-to-get-excited-about-in-windows-7/ I must say that windows looks like it finally pulling itself out of the gutter.

What do you guys think?

ms does this every time, they talk it way up as the most secure, blah, blah and it shows up without much of what was promised and with brand new design flaws. I think few folks are falling for it anymore, if its an improvement -- great. With all the time, effort and money that will have gone in to it, I would hope so.

But, this really does not have anything to do with Linux. It just chugs along on its own, not caring about market share or profit.

I say use the best tool for the job, if windows is where one is most effective -- then they should use it.

Linuxratty
November 10th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I also don't think it will effect Linux...People who use Linux will not be flocking back to Microsoft's products in droves.
The same goes for the OSX and BSD users...

brunovecchi
November 10th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I don't want to sound overly moral and extremist, but,

What about freedom??

I know there is a percentage of almost any GNU/Linux distro's code that isn't free, but I don't think that it disallows us to put freedom as a main reason for never switching to Windows, no matter how featured it might come out.

starcannon
November 10th, 2008, 06:14 PM
These are all just my opinion:

10. Easier and better wireless networking
We've got this already in Intrepid

9. Device stage
Looks like it could be good, but imho it's mostly useless

8. Better battery life
Better battery life than vista is nothing impressive. Vista is a crazed battery hog.

7. Network file sharing is wicked fast
Samba is much faster than XP's sharing, I don't know about Vista's

6. Improved UAC
Sounds to me like they've taken more security out of it ... making it, well ... less secure

5. The new taskbar
Compiz / awn anyone? Nothing new for us here

4. WinMin
If it actually eventuates, it'd be nice for windows users, but nothing new here
From what I've read around, Windows7 will be using the vista kernel

3. Libraries
Sounds like a good idea, wouldn't know if it's any good in practice though
We have other good search tools here anyway

2. PC Safeguard
Sounds a lot like the new guest account feature in intrepid
But it's a little nicer (and somewhat pointless) I guess

1. The new image backup system
Finally, a decent backup system for windows users
We can do this too easily enough, but perhaps without a dedicated nice GUI for it

So, IMHO, this doesn't mean anything to linux, because we can get most of these features (and more other features) today for free!
If you want to wait 1+ years waiting for win 7 to come out, then you will probably find linux has all these features and more by the time win 7 is released ... except you can get linux for free!
Rhubarb said it for me, all I see is MS continuing to play catch up; I wonder what cool new stuff we will have in 2010 that MS will be working on putting in their 2013 release?
For me win7 is meaningless, I either all ready have the things on that list, or don't care about the ones that I don't have; indeed I don't use even half the "cool" features available to me. When it's all boiled down, glitz is fun for 10 minutes, then I just need to get things done in a timely manner and on a budget, Linux does this for me perfectly, and seems to just keep getting better at it. Oh and I still have glitz that makes all other OS's drool, Compiz and AWN or Kiba thats just wicked glitz, it doesn't get any cooler than that.

medic2000
November 10th, 2008, 06:21 PM
I do not care about MS and their operating systems. Improve? Windows 7 gonna be free software? Of course not. I like the idea of a free operating system. And i like to support it.I can do everything that i want with linux + feel free here.

We have a stable system,different DE's,cool effects etc.. Why i would want to use Windows?

insane_alien
November 10th, 2008, 06:22 PM
all this means for linux in general is that we keep continuing to accelerate our improvements year after year.

as linux tends to be developed by people in their spare time for the community the focus will always be on writing and improving the code rather than 'can we implement X ASAP'

also, the mixture of competition and cooperation between developers in the community means we don't stagnate or reinvent the wheel several times over.

bomanizer
November 10th, 2008, 07:14 PM
How about privacy issues? This (http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/07/02/139251)made me ditch MS in home use for good. I know, this is more tinfoil-hat stuff that real, but the doubt is enough.

EDIT: forgot the EULA. That's the second reason.

david_lynch
November 10th, 2008, 07:18 PM
shrug. don't care. I'm happy with linux. why should I switch to *******?

I, Brian
November 10th, 2008, 07:21 PM

That's the issue - there was so much to look forward to in Vista when it was first started as Longhorn.

And then MS decided to just cut everything back and launch something faster, and we basically ended up with something more like Windows Millennium.

Sure, Vista looks pretty, but it's usability that counts, and Vista invites more problems than it solves for users who stay with XP.

Windows 7, to be honest, looks more like a Vista bug fix to me than anything else - get a few more things in that they planned originally for Longhorn, but watch the system get cut back to appease shareholders concerned about Vista sales performance.

Also, I personally think a lot of Windows users are getting tired with MS and drifting bit by bit into Apple and Linux systems, especially now that the command shell is less of an issue for normal users worried about usability.

2c.

handy
November 10th, 2008, 11:22 PM
I'm perfectly happy with where Linux is at right now, have been for some time.

I'm not in the slightest bit interested in any kind of MS product.

Will the new version of windows be a ground up redesign that removes the registry?

Will it be a lite user of system resources?

Will MS open up the code so we can see what is inside?

MS are only interested in money, power & control, why support such a redundant paradigm, a paradigm which has already shown itself to be responsible for the destruction of so much of our planet & the exploitation of a huge percentage of the worlds population?

MS will never get another cent from me.

Mason Whitaker
November 10th, 2008, 11:26 PM
Unless Microsoft can actually pull up something that's both graphically elegant and stable, I'll never go back to Windows.
Even so, I can't imagine myself ever leaving Linux.

Sealbhach
November 11th, 2008, 12:12 AM

Will the new version of windows be a ground up redesign that removes the registry?

Exactly. They need to start from scratch to come up with something decent. I thought they had some project called Midori. I wonder what happened to that?

SomeGuyDude
November 11th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Personally I hope Windows DOES improve drastically.

I don't give a crap about where computer users get their perfect experience, I just want them to get it. If it's Linux, if it's OSX, if it's Windows, whatever. Point is people should have a computer that fulfills their computing needs.

Now, no matter how great Win7 is, I won't use it because I enjoy the Linux experience a lot, but I'm not going to begrudge Microsoft for making a high quality product if that's what happens.

Grant A.
November 11th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I will definitely upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out, I will need to save up for new graphics cards, however.

Also: I do not care if my computer only has 2 themes, to choose a computer for just a theme is a horrible idea. If I wish, I can just download a transformation pack for Vista on the internet or if I so choose, program a DE myself.

Rhubarb
November 11th, 2008, 04:11 AM
I think the best features win 7 should get (that it seems it won't get) are simple usability enhancements that we've already got here in Ubuntu.
Such as:

Triple click to highlight a line / paragraph
Ability to scroll an inactive window
Copy and Paste by highlighting some text, then middle click to paste.
Multiple Desktops

These are the features I really really miss when using a windows desktop (which is very rarely thankfully).
These features make life so much more easier and many times more productive when doing simple common tasks.

supermikey
November 11th, 2008, 04:46 AM
I think it means that if they pull a vista, and people don't want mac, we'll be seeing more people coming to Linux. That was the case for me after Windows ME. I started off with Slackware, then Debian, and now Ubuntu. I personally think that trying to figure out what we have to do to "compete" is wrong. We don't have to. Windows is trying to compete with us and Mac, and Mac took from *nix to make their latest and greatest anyway. Maybe the default theme needs a tweak, or maybe a few more installed alternatives. A senior citizen version might help, as when my neighbors (all 60+) hit the end of the road with their old machines, I've been moving them to one *buntu or the other. Really I think it's the non-free software corporations who are trying to compete with us and poo-poo F/OSS because they are afraid that we will (eventually) put them out of business.

HungryMan
November 11th, 2008, 07:54 AM
MS are only interested in money, power & control, why support such a redundant paradigm, a paradigm which has already shown itself to be responsible for the destruction of so much of our planet & the exploitation of a huge percentage of the worlds population?

MS will never get another cent from me.

On the contrary, if MS is only interested in money, power & control, then they won't stop with just Windows. Hello, XBOX, MSN, Office, Flight Sim, Age of series, Zune, Windows Mobile? Their spreading their horizons already. Be afraid, be very afraid of their next product: Microsoft Burger and Microsoft Soda.:lolflag:

wolfen69
November 11th, 2008, 08:11 AM
i am not excited about its release. i will learn it for my job, but will never install a microsoft product on my own computers. microsoft can rot in hell for all i care.

ubuntu27
November 11th, 2008, 08:39 AM

Well, there are some new stuff on Ubuntu 8.10 that people overlook. You can read about this small new features at:

Improvements in GNOME 2.24 and Ubuntu 8.10 (http://bizarrelinux.blogspot.com/2008/11/improvements-in-gnome-224-and-ubuntu_05.html)

Trail
November 11th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Triple click to highlight a line / paragraph
Ability to scroll an inactive window
Copy and Paste by highlighting some text, then middle click to paste.
Multiple Desktops

YES please. +1;

starcannon
November 12th, 2008, 04:04 AM

Intrepid brought loads of exciting new stuff; most of it was under the hood though, for example, I have an HP dv2600 that when it first released was a tedious install; now with intrepid its a linux 100%er, everything works out of the box, EVERYTHING.

It's not always about glitz and glam, we have compiz-fusion paired with AWN or Kiba and have glitz and glam covered anyway (and nothing available to mac or windows is even close). So now it gets down to usability. That same dv2600 took me 2 days to do a MS Windows XP install on because of having to track down the 15 drivers for it; in contrast, the linux install including updates was less than 1 hour AND I had cool desktop effects, all MS gave me was the ability to play DX games natively nothing more, for me MS Windows has become little more than a way to use my computers as a gaming console; and as consoles continue to progress I may find myself not needing Direct X for anything.

Anyway, in my opinion, progress is not measured by glitz and glam(even if it were Linux still has no competition), its measured in stability, reliability, and ease of use; I have it all, and I doubt seriously that MS or Mac will offer that to me at an affordable price anytime soon.

Just my .02 on the subject, and at current inflation rates I probably owe someone an apology.

GL and have fun.

Grant A.
November 12th, 2008, 04:14 AM
track down the 15 drivers for it; in contrast, the linux install including updates was less than 1 hour AND I had cool desktop effects

Isn't it normally a good idea to research a printer before you buy one? Btw, you should have called HP for a drivers CD. Also, choosing an OS for desktop effects is a bad move. SuSE is pretty, but slow as hell.

Ocxic
November 12th, 2008, 04:34 AM
we're winning ... lol

starcannon
November 12th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Isn't it normally a good idea to research a printer before you buy one? Btw, you should have called HP for a drivers CD. Also, choosing an OS for desktop effects is a bad move. SuSE is pretty, but slow as hell.

I don't have a printer problem, its an HP laptop, and its been solved by sweat equity.
HP did not admit to me to having an XP driver cd for the dv2600(I asked there first)
Choosing an OS for any reason is valid, I personally turn desktop effects off these days except when showing off to friends.

As an aside I've been using linux for 10+ years, 5+ years as nearly exclusive (broke down and put in a gaming partition so I can play warhammer, what can I say). Anyway, not me first linux rodeo, and short of some sort of operating system messiah, not my last. I use linux 99.9% of the time; gaming, while important to me, is not my only goal or use for a comptuter; work, research, and personal improvement are my comptuters primary functions.

GL and have fun.

Liviu-Theodor
November 12th, 2008, 09:45 AM
My initial post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6144169#post6144169) had a terrific success, as I seen many replies to it. Where I saw information about Vista at first? Not Internet, but PC periodics. As these are distributed internationally (with specifics for each country), I can say, if one is interrested, could search the archives of CHIP, PC Magazine, PC World, or whatever periodic distributed in your country.

Dixon Bainbridge
November 12th, 2008, 10:13 AM

What do you guys think?

My criteria for using an OS:

Fast
Stable
Inherently secure
Gets out of the way of the user
Supports and runs the applications I need to perform a task in an efficient manner

Windows has always failed on all of those to a greater/less extent. The only reason for me to use windows would be for a to-die-for-must-have application. They're arent any. So there is no compulsive reason for me to use windows.

I use OS X for the commercial apps I like to use. Its not fast, its ok stability wise and it gets out of the way more than Vista does, but its not that great as an OS. It's just less irritating than Vista.

My work laptop runs ubuntu. For work I need a browser for email and webwork, and openoffice. That's it. Linux ticks all the points above.

Using an Os is not about slavish devotion to a platform, its not about converting users, its not about how nice the OS looks, its about usability and performance. Linux will always perform better and be more useable than OS X or Windows, because linux is infinitely configurable. And as Wine gets better, Windows/OS X will slowly start becoming irrelevant for hardcore apps users like me, that need to run certain apps day to day that aren't available on Linux. Gnome,for example, doesnt need to "up its game." Up its game to do what exactly?

3rdalbum
November 12th, 2008, 11:18 AM
The things people complained about in Vista are still present in Windows 7. But now Microsoft are creating lots of hype about the new features, and people are getting excited enough to not care about the things that originally bugged them.

I do hope that Windows 7 inspires Gnome and KDE developers to think differently about the user interface to make it cooler, easier to use, and more convenient. Optionally :-)

Sealbhach
November 12th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Well, according to this guy Windows 7 will suck just as much as Vista, if not more.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/the_big_windows_7_lie

He is very biased though.

clanky
November 12th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I have read a couple of reviews by people who have pre-beta versions installed, they are not as positive as i would have hoped for, but they are pre-beta so who knows what the end product will be like.

Chame_Wizard
November 12th, 2008, 12:21 PM
It's means nothing for Linux,since M$ try to copy OSX/BSD/Linux.

tadcan
November 12th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Since I need to use windows only programs (professional video editing) it means something to me. If win7 offers a good multicore handling I will consider it after SP1.

Liviu-Theodor
November 12th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Since I need to use windows only programs (professional video editing) it means something to me. If win7 offers a good multicore handling I will consider it after SP1.

I think it will be better to consider it after SP2, if at all, as with SP1 for Vista I ran into big problems, which forced me to reinstall all on network where I am adminstrator (operating system, drivers, programs). In short the problem was: install SP1, reboot, unable to boot Vista even in Safe Mode, any Recovery procedure does not work. Very bad thing. I will better see a BSOD than this.

jerrylamos
November 12th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Intrepid has given this IBM Thinkpad a new lease on life. It's a 1 gHz 512 mb 32 bit Celeron, runs Internet, pretty credible You Tube, Office, Digital photos, etc. Very usable.

Try that on Vista. Or Windows 7,

Since forever, Windows has required a new faster bigger computer with each release.

I've run Dapper, Edgy, Feisty, Gutsy, Hardy, Intrepid, this is early Jaunty now. I don't have measurements, but from an "ordinary user" standpoint Intrepid is the best yet.

The downside was 2 months thrashing with Intrepid because of compiz "enhancements" which killed video dead on a number of Intel video graphics chips. With the help of forum posts I got it running with a workaround, boot in rescue mode then sudo apt-get remove compiz compiz-core. Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment, early Alpha's and Beta's and even early Release Code sometimes don't even work.

Now I do Internet mail & news & video, Office, Digital Photos, ... all full screen so I could care less about "eye candy" on the desk top.

What Linux "enhancements" do I want? DON'T SLOW IT DOWN WITH IN-LINE CODE LIKE COMPIZ!! Many internet videos still don't work. I'm usually looking at news, health, ... and the New Hampshire TV station uses ******* specific video for news & politics & sucn.

Keep up the good work, Ubuntu.

Jerry

mirhciulica
November 12th, 2008, 01:55 PM
IMHO, Windows 7 will be like Vista with some new features. It doesn't impress me. Also, the same DRM (http://badvista.fsf.org/what-s-wrong-with-microsoft-windows-vista) will exist for Windows 7.

It's too much marketing instead of less performance,stability,security!

With Linux I feel more confortable.

magump
November 12th, 2008, 02:42 PM
IMHO I don't think Ubuntu has anything to worry about with "Windows 7". Hop over to PC World and check out their review on the Windows 7 operating system. In a nutshell, I believe they say it isn't much better than Vista. I also believe that would mean an "upgrade" from Vista and just trying to shed the name Vista by calling it something else.

spupy
November 12th, 2008, 02:44 PM
OP, you have read about Windows 7? Perhaps seen the flashy videos with the omg-amazing new taskbar? I think you have been deceived. By videos and text one cannot judge an OS, especially in beta.
When I first met Vista at work about year ago I was really impressed at first. It looked nice and I kinda liked it. But then I noticed how awful it is - outlook takes 2 minutes to start, IE is crippled, etc.
It did have the nice features they advertised, the ones you see immediately. You can say it takes a little to start liking it. But it takes a while to really start hating it...

There is one thing that I did notice about W7 from the previews. It looks like MS isn't afraid to try new things - take the taskbar for example. It might be good, it might be bad. But they are trying something different. (I know it is similar to taskbars in other OSs). When is the last time Gnome made such an attempt? KDE4 looks like it goes in the right direction, although its instability made an impression on me.

Q: Window ... Actually Changing... What does that mean for linux?
A: It means that Linux is afraid of changes and clings to older models?

kevdog
November 12th, 2008, 02:47 PM
arstechnica.com just wrote about some specs about the windows 7 beta. The memory footprint was just as big as Vista, and boot speed was slower. They concluded it was really Vista in disguise.

tadcan
November 12th, 2008, 03:02 PM
link?

FuturePilot
November 12th, 2008, 04:58 PM
I also don't think it will effect Linux...People who use Linux will not be flocking back to Microsoft's products in droves.
The same goes for the OSX and BSD users...

I agree. I'm happy where I'm at with Linux right now. I don't think some flashy feature is going to have me running back to Windows.