PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] But The Straw Is Too Long Dear Lisa, Dear Lisa....

Pete Medium
November 10th, 2008, 12:14 PM
Ok I would appreciate some help.....Please.....
I have a CD of Ubuntu 8.04 and I am trying to load it into my old Toshiba laptop. It has 500mg ram and 5.6gig harddrive. Originally ran windows 98 but I have been using Windows XP with Microsoft office 2000 quite successfully...except I don't have access to a phone line and this old puter doesn't fare well with my Wireless Broadband, so Windows only gives me 30days and I have to re install....So my friend suggested Ubuntu.

I put in the Ubuntu cd copy he gave me...I have tried his original and I had difficulties with it as well.
The language selection comes up and I select English
I click on install and 'loading linux kernel' starts till 3% then 'error reading boot cd.'....I obey the command...

Back to Language..select English...
This time I check cd faults...
Load Linux Kernel...gets to 3% again
Error reading boot cd....I obey...

Language selection...English...
This time I try testing memory..
Get the boot message again...I obey...

Boot from first hard disk...
It opens Microsoft XP and tells me I must contact Microsoft to operate.
I close down Windows, remove Ubuntu cd, re install cd, and turonoff...then turn on.

I get the language again...English
I try F4...Safe Graphic Mode...F6...try 'without changes to puter' but all to no avail.
I turn off puter, remove CD and reboot without CD
Windows XP tells me I can't use my licenced copy until I go on line and activate my copy...which I can't do because I can't access the internet....
But there's a hole in the bucket dear lisa dear lisa....
Sheeeeeeesh why does everything have to be so bloody complicated...
Your help...and a decent psychiatrist...would be appreciated...

Pete

Yashiro
November 10th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Sounds like the CD, or your CD drive, is faulty.

methodmarvel
November 10th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Sounds like the CD, or your CD drive, is faulty.
Yea - you'd do well to download a new .iso and burn it on to a blank CD-R and see if that fixes it.

Pete Medium
November 10th, 2008, 12:39 PM
More likely the CD as I am currently reloading XP and its working perfectly... Thanks

Pete Medium
November 10th, 2008, 12:41 PM
I'm in country Australia where it costs $50 for 1 Gig down/up load per month....I guess I'll have to wait for my ordered CD...Christmas isn't that far away...sigh...thanks for your help all....back to Windows.....and a bucket with holes....

diwas
November 10th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Use relevant subject, i suggest. This way you can get more suggestions.

BTW yes, download a new iso and burn it in any blank cd. Or you can order a new cd from www.shipit.ubuntu.com
Enjoy!

stephanvaningen
November 10th, 2008, 12:50 PM
I'm in country Australia where it costs $50 for 1 Gig down/up load per month....I guess I'll have to wait for my ordered CD...Christmas isn't that far away...sigh...thanks for your help all....back to Windows.....and a bucket with holes....

Why don't you quickly download it in a cybercafé for 50 cents and drop it on a USB-stick? ;-)

randiroo76073
November 10th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Pete, I know some people in Aussie land, pm me with your location & I'll see if they can get you a disc any quicker.

The Cog
November 10th, 2008, 01:45 PM
I don't want to worry you, but it occurs to me that the problem might be that the particular make of CD-ROM drive isn't supported in Linux. Which could make things very tricky. But the only way to be sure is to try a different CD. Booting an installer from a USB stick should work, except that your laptop is probably too old to have the option of USB boot in the BIOS.

coolbrook
November 10th, 2008, 02:11 PM
♪ There's a hole in the bucket dear Liza, dear Liza ♪

beercz
November 10th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Use relevant subject, i suggest. This way you can get more suggestions.
I think the OP's title is pretty good. It got my attention and hence I read the thread. The OP's title makes a change from the usual "My wireless network doesn't work" or similar.

TOMM_1230
November 10th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Pete,

I don't know how helpful this is but yo could order a live disk from shipit, from the kubuntu site, Kubuntu.org, they take a little time to arrive but they work well when they get there. But since this is a time sensitive issue it may not help.

oilchangeguy
November 10th, 2008, 04:34 PM
since nobody has asked yet, i will. please post the cpu speed of your computer. and are you sure about the amount of ram?

Pete Medium
November 11th, 2008, 12:45 AM
Why don't you quickly download it in a cybercafé for 50 cents and drop it on a USB-stick? ;-)
Thanks for the suggestion, but where I live there is no such think as cybercafe's and the nearest city is two hours or 120K away...and the cybercafe's charge around $3.00 per hour. Again thanks for your offer *S*

Pete Medium
November 11th, 2008, 12:48 AM
Thank you but it looks like the disk driver may be the problem...I live in country Queensland...and I have friends with CD's....thanks anyway. *S*

Pete Medium
November 11th, 2008, 12:53 AM
I don't want to worry you, but it occurs to me that the problem might be that the particular make of CD-ROM drive isn't supported in Linux. Which could make things very tricky. But the only way to be sure is to try a different CD. Booting an installer from a USB stick should work, except that your laptop is probably too old to have the option of USB boot in the BIOS.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I think you're on the money. Is there any way I can transfer the information from the CD onto a memory stick, that way I can load it into my laptop...yes it had USB port and I am running a memory stick for most of my material...and I have the use of another computer where I can run the CD and transfer it to the memory stick.
Much appreciated *S*
Pete

Pete Medium
November 11th, 2008, 12:58 AM
since nobody has asked yet, i will. please post the cpu speed of your computer. and are you sure about the amount of ram?

I don't know the CPU nor where to find that information...there's nothing on the outside of the machine...and yes that is the ram size...I had it upgraded from 250 to 500.

The Cog
November 12th, 2008, 01:04 AM
The Ubuntu 8.10 desktop live-CD/installer has an option to install to a USB stick, but it needs a copy of the .ISO file as well. So I reckon you have to put the .ISO file on the hard disk of another computer, then boot the Ubuntu live CD, mount the windows hard drive to gain access to the ISO file, then create the bootable USB stick.

The USB stick should be empty but formatted at the start of the process.

stalkingwolf
December 2nd, 2008, 05:17 PM
If you have reinstalled windows you can identify your processor
by right clicking on the My Computer icon then selecting properties.
select general if it is not already. That will tell you your processor
and ram specs.

If you have Ubuntu installed and can somehow get on line you can install
Gnome Device Manager it will give you the same info.

If you have access to the net someplace search the manufacturers site,
or google the manufacturer and model number with "specs" added. This should
give you the most common configuration.