PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu live/install freezes just as SUSE does

machinogodzilla
November 10th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Hi,

So after I always wanted to try openSUSE I downloaded dvd image, burnt it, and then while installing it almost burnt my laptop! :shock: The progress bar stopped, the fan stopped, and when I realised that something was wrong the laptop was almost melting...

What a piece of s*** I thought and reached for my beloved and trusted ubuntu cd. I started it up, went for installation and... the same thing! (apart from the fan that was still spinning)

Ok, so I've just changed to a newish machine called Philips, yep, the same brand that makes bulbs and toothbrushes. Its spec is at the bottom of this post.

It came with preinstalled hasta la Vista, and with a hidden recovery partition (see attachment) because Philips wanted to save 10p on a CD.

I previously installed Ubuntu on a HP laptop with XP on it and experienced no trouble. This time, however, the installation starts and freezes always when it reaches the third grid of the progress bar (see attachment). The same thing happens when I want to start ubuntu off the cd, it freezes at the same point. Interestingly, the same happens with openSUSE, progress bar stops in roughly the same place as in ubuntu.

Help would be greatly appreciated :)

Spec:
CPU Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5500 (1.66GHz)
Chipset Mobile Intel® 945PM Express chipset
Memory 1GB DDR2 PC2-4200 (2 x 512MB)
Hard Drive 100 GB, Serial ATA notebook hard drive
CD / DVD Drive Dual layer DVD±RW
Video/Graphics Integrated Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (up to 224MB)
Monitor 12.1" TFT (native resolution 1024x768)
Modem Motorola SM56 modem
Sound Card Realtek AC'97 audio
Network Card Realtek 8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet (Onboard)
Network Card Intel® Pro 2200BG wireless LAN
Firewire Card OHCI compliant IEEE 1394 host controller (onboard)
PC Card 4 in 1 card reader
PC Card 1 x ExpressCard/54 slot

Partyboi2
November 11th, 2008, 07:02 AM
When you are at the main menu of the ubuntu cd press F6 and remove the word splash then press enter. This will remove the splash screen and hopefully show where it is stopping.