PDA

View Full Version : Standalone GPS with updateable maps/firmware

taylork
November 10th, 2008, 04:43 AM
I'm looking to buy a gps unit as a gift. I'd like to know if anyone can recommend a brand/model similar to a TomTom or Garmin (or those if it can be done) that offers a method of uploading the maps or firmware without using Windows/Mac.

I'd also prefer if it wasn't running Windows CE.

Note that I use a Nokia N800 with the Wayfinder software that lets you download maps within the application or use wget and copy them over as described here http://www.navicoretech.com/Consumer/Support/Downloads/tablet/en_GB/wfnavigator/ which works great. The coolness of this unit would be lost on my retired parents though...

Primal-id
November 17th, 2008, 06:16 AM
I am also looking for this info but it is hard to come by it seems. I have found that NMEA seems to be a key in a lot of the gps based linux interfaces. Newer Garmin units have quit using this but I can't tell you for sure which ones. I'm still looking for that info. I still have not determined if this means the Garmin's won't work or if it's more difficult to implement. Hope somebody has some info out there and will post. I'm anxious to do a little war driving on my vacation that is in 2 weeks.