PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Windows Partition from a recovery disk without losing ubuntu

morissette
November 10th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Okay heres the deal, I unfortunately need to install windows on a seperate partition, I dont want to but I also would like to play games that after hours and days of trying to **** with config files and wine I just cant get to work. Now I have never had windows on this box, but I do have a recovery cd from my friends laptop and was wondering if there is anyway I can install windows without losing my complete ubuntu installation. Please help or walk me through backing up my ubuntu installation so I can just format the entire thing and then just put it back to how it was so I can dual boot.

Please help me.

logos34
November 10th, 2008, 05:35 AM
here you go:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boAAot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_inst alled_first.htm

hwttdz
November 10th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Uh, I got a 404.

Mark Phelps
November 10th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Since not all recovery CDs are the same, I'm guessing that the one your friend has will reload Windows to the hard drive. Most often, this will completely wipe the hard drive, reformat, and reload Windows with the settings established by the vendor of the original machine. If it's an OEM CD, it will also load all the apps the vendor included with the system.

However, unless the two machines have the same hardware, it's a very risky proposition because it simply loads the drivers associated with the machine intended for the recovery CD. It's not an actual Windows installation; it's a partition restoration, so it makes no attempt to see if the drivers work or find the proper drivers. This will produce situations ranging from mildly annoying to complete disaster -- depending on how well the drivers work your machine.

So, the simple answer is that such a recovery will most likely wipe everything you have from your machine.

logos34
November 10th, 2008, 08:45 PM
Uh, I got a 404.

oops.

Here it is:

http://apcmag.com/how_to_dual_boot_linux_and_windows_xp_linux_instal led_first.htm