PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Burning nVidia drivers to cd

bw3249
November 10th, 2008, 03:18 AM
OK, through lots of trial an error I finally got umbuntu installed an working. My hang up came when because for some reason I couldn't get my wired network adapter (I tried several) to work until AFTER I installed the restricted driver for my nVidia graphics card. I got things working by borrowing a usb wireless adapter. The wireless adapter was able to connect to a local free network and I could download and activate the restricted drivers. As soon as I did that and rebooted, my wired network card started working.

I would now like to download and burn the nVidia drivers to a cd so that I can install them without a network, should I need to reinstall in the future.

I've downloaded the nvidia-glx-177_177.80-0ubuntu2_amd64.deb from the packages website. It shows several related files. Do I need to download them also? If so, then do I need to download all files related to the related files? Where does it end? Is there an easier/better way to accomplish this?

Any assistance/advise would be appreciated.

logos34
November 10th, 2008, 05:45 AM
why not just use AptOnCD to backup ALL your deb pkgs (in /var/cache/apt/archives)--they may fit on a cd and and the nifty thing is it'll save you the trouble of downloading everything all over again! That way you can rest assured all the dependencies for the nvidia driver are included.

http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/

bw3249
November 10th, 2008, 02:49 PM
Cool!!!

I figured someone with more than my 2-days of experience with ubuntu would have a solution.

Thank you.

Chunky Dunk
November 10th, 2008, 11:36 PM
why not just use AptOnCD to backup ALL your deb pkgs (in /var/cache/apt/archives)--they may fit on a cd and and the nifty thing is it'll save you the trouble of downloading everything all over again! That way you can rest assured all the dependencies for the nvidia driver are included.

http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/

That's a great link... I wish I'd heard about it before!