PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installation on Laptop

rpatel99
November 10th, 2008, 02:04 AM
I recently downloaded a trojan onto my Dell laptop, and so since I was going to format the hard drive anyway, I decided to try a different operating system. After I burned the ubuntu 8.10 I tried installing it to my laptop, the main menu ("Try Ubuntu without any change to your computer" "Install Ubuntu", etc.) I tried installing it several times, yet nothing occurred. I could hear the disc spinning, but there was no change on the screen. So basically, I pressed enter, but nothing happened.

Don't know whether there is a problem with the CD, or my computer.

Here are my specs just incase:
Dell Inspiron 2200
Celeron M 1.40 GHz
512 MB RAM

jklslvch
November 10th, 2008, 03:08 AM
when the cd starts up and your on the option start ubuntu without changes to computer or whatever there should be some line at the bottom of the screen

so what u want to do is add:
noapic nolapic

there was another one vga=771 i think
see if anything happens

and if you dont see the line of "code" or words at the bottom try pressing tab but im sure you can just start typing once the screen loads

rpatel99
November 10th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Nothing happened.

Otustelija
November 10th, 2008, 07:52 PM
What video card do you have? You may have better luck trying the safe graphics mode from, I think, F4 in the main menu. If that fails, the only way may be to use the Alternate Install CD (text based installer).

However, from my experience trying to install 8.10, I would recommend trying 8.04 instead - especially if you are new to Ubuntu. It just works, whereas 8.10 still has some problems on some configurations.