PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] won't boot, help

smooth3006
November 10th, 2008, 12:43 AM
i tried to install kubuntu 8.10 but it wont boot unless i keep pressing a keyboard key ? this happens after install too, then i get nothing but errors and crashes. i thought it might be a bad iso so i got another one and have the same issue.

is there a known problem with this ? i was also thinking of just installing ubuntu 8.10 then removing the gnome environment and installing kde. does anybody know how this can be done ?

randy78
November 10th, 2008, 12:56 AM
If you can, boot into a LiveCD, open a terminal, type: lspci
Copy and paste the output back here.

As for your second question, check here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde

smooth3006
November 10th, 2008, 01:00 AM
If you can, boot into a LiveCD, open a terminal, type: lspci
Copy and paste the output back here.

As for your second question, check here: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/purekde

i just tried to install ubuntu and it does the same thing, it must be a bug with ubuntu 8.10. i can't give you an output right now im afraid, im posting from my vista install. if i remember correctly this happened when 8.04 came out too.

smooth3006
November 10th, 2008, 01:12 AM
anybody ?

randy78
November 10th, 2008, 01:22 AM
If the LiveCD boots, you are going to have to get into a terminal and post the output of: lspci

Otherwise, we aren't going to be very much help

smooth3006
November 10th, 2008, 01:27 AM
If the LiveCD boots, you are going to have to get into a terminal and post the output of: lspci

Otherwise, we aren't going to be very much help

im downloading the altern cd and will try to install, then ill post my lspci for you guys.

randy78
November 10th, 2008, 01:31 AM
Okay

smooth3006
November 10th, 2008, 01:38 AM
after doing some reading i found out people are having major issues with kubuntu 8.10 with the new kde. i may just wait until this all gets sorted out a bit. maybe ill try the new mandriva instead.

randy78
November 10th, 2008, 01:45 AM
Remember that we'll be here to help you when you decide to come back ;)

Have fun and take care

smooth3006
November 10th, 2008, 02:15 AM
Remember that we'll be here to help you when you decide to come back ;)

Have fun and take care

thanks, but my point is a person should not have to spend hours online diagnosing issues with any OS. after all ive read i don't think 8.10 was ready for release yet.

randy78
November 10th, 2008, 02:17 AM
thanks, but my point is a person should not have to spend hours online diagnosing issues with any OS. after all ive read i don't think 8.10 was ready for release yet.

Ubuntu is working great for millions and millions of people across the earth, and I'm sorry for the grief it has caused you, but if you stick with it, we may be able to work through it! :guitar: