PDA

View Full Version : Anyone compiled Firefox 3.0 in Intrepid?

Sealbhach
November 10th, 2008, 12:13 AM
I've tried twice, with the source for 3.1 and 3.0 and it builds OK but I can't get it to run.

I get a "buffer overflow detected" message in the terminal when I try to run the firefox executable.

I've Googled a bit but can't find anything much about this so I was wondering if there's some bug I'm not aware of or something?

ghindo
November 10th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Why are you trying to compile FF3 if it's already in the repositories?

Sealbhach
November 10th, 2008, 12:33 AM
Why are you trying to compile FF3 if it's already in the repositories?

Just to see if I can. Anyway, isn't there some performance improvements if I compile it on my own machine?

Mazza558
November 10th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Just to see if I can. Anyway, isn't there some performance improvements if I compile it on my own machine?

You're better off finding a different browser that's faster if you want it to be faster. Or you could tweak about:config in Firefox.

ghindo
November 10th, 2008, 12:36 AM

.I'm not entirely sure about this, but I'm fairly certain that any performance improvements would be minimal, if existent at all.

hanzomon4
November 10th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Really I think most of the "improvements" matter to people who do high end computing and I doubt they use web browsers.