PDA

View Full Version : Question that would not fit anywhere else

herbine
January 1st, 2005, 09:39 AM
I like to build computers from scratch.

I was approached by a couple of people wanting me to build them a computer from the ground up.

Here is my question I guess. Would it be a violation of any rules /regulations /copyrights to include Ubuntu as the OS for the computers?

And if so, could a comprimise be worked out so that I can include Ubuntu?

Thanks

Adrenal
January 1st, 2005, 10:09 AM
I like to build computers from scratch.

I was approached by a couple of people wanting me to build them a computer from the ground up.

Here is my question I guess. Would it be a violation of any rules /regulations /copyrights to include Ubuntu as the OS for the computers?

And if so, could a comprimise be worked out so that I can include Ubuntu?

Thanks
No, Ubuntu's free, as long as you tell the people that it is not XP, and is indeed Linux, and so long as you don't charge them for a paid os. Maybe even give them a quick tutorial. But as for legality, your in the clear

az
January 1st, 2005, 02:36 PM
I hope that you are not asking of it is ok to sell a computer without windows?

"as long as you tell the people that it is not XP, and is indeed Linux, and so long as you don't charge them for a paid os"

If they are not under the assumption that they will be getting windows, you do not have to say anything. You can charge for the half-hour it will take you to install Ubuntu, of course.

hazza96
January 1st, 2005, 03:46 PM
so long as you don't charge them for a paid os.
I hope you are not under the impression that you can't charge for Ubuntu? You can certainly charge any price you want for any Open Source program (Ubuntu is completely OSS, isn't it?)

I could charge my next door neighbour $1000 for a single Ubuntu CD. The thing is I cannot restrict him from making 100 copies and selling them for $5 each.

The GPL states something along the lines that you must make the source "available". Available does not mean that it is included on the CD you sell, it can mean from your FTP server, or a self addressed stamped CD mailer.

Of course not all OSS use the GPL so they might have a different requirement.

herbine
January 1st, 2005, 04:52 PM
I hope that you are not asking of it is ok to sell a computer without windows?

"as long as you tell the people that it is not XP, and is indeed Linux, and so long as you don't charge them for a paid os"

If they are not under the assumption that they will be getting windows, you do not have to say anything. You can charge for the half-hour it will take you to install Ubuntu, of course.
I wasn't planning on charging anything, except for the actual parts (hard drive, cr-rom drive, etc...).

They asked for a Linux system, and this looks like one of the better ones out there.

Thanks all!

az
January 1st, 2005, 09:47 PM
"I like to build computers from scratch."
"I wasn't planning on charging anything, except for the actual parts (hard drive, cr-rom drive, etc...)"

Ubuntu pre-installed? It probably would be a good way to make some money. Check with the trademark people:

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/TrademarkPolicy/view?searchterm=trademark

Install ubuntu on an inexpensive pile of hardware that is sitting around in your house. Run apache and connect it to the net. Offer Ubuntu pre-installed boxes for sale over the net on your webpage; I wonder if you can advertise on the Ubuntulinux site?

panickedthumb
January 2nd, 2005, 12:52 AM
Getting systems and, as someone else suggested, hard drives with Ubuntu pre-installed would be a boon to the Ubuntu community, regardless of whether Ubuntu sells them or if someone else, like yourself, sells them. You might be able to quit your day job if you could get a troop together and get support from Canonical, and of course if the project goes far enough.

Reading back over that, I seriously did not mean to say "a boon to" followed so closely by "ubuntu." That's just the way it worked out.

herbine
January 2nd, 2005, 03:38 AM
Thanks all for the quick replys, this is one *if not THE* best forum sites I have come across dedicated to linux os's. Just remember, it was this poor college student's idea!

Lol, thanks everyone