PDA

View Full Version : General Distro Query?

etdsbastar
November 9th, 2008, 08:58 PM
Imagine, If one day windows completely disappears from this world and only linux comes into existence then which linux distro will be the most popular one?

DrMega
November 9th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Imagine, If one day windows completely disappears from this world and only linux comes into existence then which linux distro will be the most popular one?

You ask this question on Ubuntu forums. Do expect an unbiased answer?

Grant A.
November 9th, 2008, 09:05 PM
You ask this question on Ubuntu forums. Do expect an unbiased answer?

:lolflag:

I would really expect Kubuntu to be the more popular, as it is more designed for people transitioning from Windows to Linux. :P

etdsbastar
November 9th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Tell me what is your opinion on the poll i gave you...

eragon100
November 9th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Mint, because it's based on ubuntu but installs mp3 etc codecs by default.

I am happy with ubuntu myself tough :)

decoherence
November 9th, 2008, 09:37 PM
the one i'm building now...:lolflag:

RiceMonster
November 9th, 2008, 09:39 PM
All the windows users will flock to Linux From Scratch.

SomeGuyDude
November 9th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Mint, because it's based on ubuntu but installs mp3 etc codecs by default.

I am happy with ubuntu myself tough :)

Remember, though, that computer manufacturers will almost certainly include those codecs if a Linux distro is preinstalled. I cannot imagine Dell selling a computer that can't play mp3s.

I selected Ubuntu, Mint, and Mandriva. Seems to me those will be the ones that become the most widely-used.

DrMega
November 9th, 2008, 10:07 PM
Well, I must say the results so far are quite surprising. A poll on Ubuntu Forums asking which distro will be most successful, surprisingly gives a very clear lead to Ubuntu.

Vince4Amy
November 9th, 2008, 10:13 PM
OpenSUSE or Mandriva

They're much easier for the transition. Mandriva has the Mandriva Control Centre and OpenSUSE has Yast. Also KDE is more customisable.

etdsbastar
November 11th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Hello friends,

thank you all of you ... the answer is clear for everyone on this forum but I think the votes are really short as i thought ...

samjh
November 11th, 2008, 01:43 PM
The most popular distros now, will be the most popular distros if Windows suddenly vanishes from all the computers of the Earth. Namely: Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, Red Hat, and Debian.

eternalnewbee
November 11th, 2008, 03:04 PM
openSUSE
Ubuntu and its derivatives
Mandriva
Debian

And not necessarily in that order.

etdsbastar
November 12th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Hey...

As compared to windows, Linux distros gives you more reliability...

But, what do you say about linux bugs ...

Will these bugs will be cured one day ...

grotto
November 12th, 2008, 06:54 PM
It would come down to system builders, rather than popularity of users' preferences. Which distribution would be based on which makes the most business sense. Maybe demand would make Ubuntu the most likely pick of system builders. But, as evidenced by netbooks, it may not be likely. After all, QDOS (http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa033099.htm) wasn't picked because it was the best or popular.

pp.
November 12th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Users not able to obtain or use Windows will throw away their PCs and start using again sensible tools they feel they can understand, such as pencil and paper or pocket calculators. Postage stamps, too.

etdsbastar
November 15th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Users not able to obtain or use Windows will throw away their PCs and start using again sensible tools they feel they can understand, such as pencil and paper or pocket calculators. Postage stamps, too.

I can understand what you are going to say, but my question was different and you too know that computers can disappear from this planet.

Just give your opinion about what I am asking, please.

namegame
November 15th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I agree with pp. Many "computer-users" are so computer-illiterate that if Windows were to go away they would lack the knowledge/desire to learn something different.

If Windows were to go away, the productivity of many people would drastically decline.

Changturkey
November 15th, 2008, 04:36 PM
OpenSUSE or Mandriva

They're much easier for the transition. Mandriva has the Mandriva Control Centre and OpenSUSE has Yast. Also KDE is more customisable.
Yeah, Ubuntu needs something like the Mandriva CC.

Tamalin
November 15th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I think that it will likely be Ubuntu. Just judging from the results will tell you that.

etdsbastar
November 18th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Well, I must say the results so far are quite surprising. A poll on Ubuntu Forums asking which distro will be most successful, surprisingly gives a very clear lead to Ubuntu.

No dear, I had given a general poll.

There are lots of people who are using this forum but still using other distro. So, please I request you not to post this type of replies.

miggols99
November 18th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I think Ubuntu will be the most popular since it does come up 3rd if you search for "linux" in Google...

lzfy
November 18th, 2008, 06:41 PM
None. Microsoft will come with a new OS called "Gates" which will take 90% of the marketshare :(

etdsbastar
November 20th, 2008, 06:30 PM
None. Microsoft will come with a new OS called "Gates" which will take 90% of the marketshare :(

How can you be so sure about this? Please specify and try to tell me clearly.

etdsbastar
November 30th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Just now, I got a new concept of ubuntu.....

Its amazing ...

jimi_hendrix
November 30th, 2008, 06:13 PM
i think it will be ubuntu (and varients), ubuntu derivatives, and debian in the front, because ubuntu will be know for its ease of use...this will lead people to want to try debian and ubuntu derivatives like mint

madriva will also be popular because it seemed to me when i tried it like a beginner distro too

arch and slackware will be there for the hardcore linux user

ugm6hr
November 30th, 2008, 06:21 PM
It will be whatever distro the Chinese authorities decide to sanction.

Skorzen
November 30th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Ubuntu.

cmay
November 30th, 2008, 08:56 PM
mandriva are are great but too big distro for the absolutte novice. i know i got the powerpack as my very first after running open suse live for a short while.
its for the casual user that has a lot of time to try all the stuff that gets installed.

open suse are just as great but honestly more a distro for someone that has the office and development side as interest as i see it (as i see it only) and it has a lot of stuff installed that one got to learn how to use.

then the smaller distros that can do a lot when out of the box like ubuntu and derivatives are going to be the top ten sellers and preinstalled computer systems instead of windows.

debian will always be popular since it is so highly stable.

after running open-solaris for some time i would say there is a chance it may become very popular. solaris 10 i have on a cd and have installed it for a while but its too much dedicated a proffesional user as i experience it too be the popular every day OS which the open-solaris versions will be.

but i do not know any of this for sure . i am kinda just guessing. :)

etdsbastar
January 15th, 2009, 08:06 AM
mandriva are are great but too big distro for the absolutte novice. i know i got the powerpack as my very first after running open suse live for a short while.
its for the casual user that has a lot of time to try all the stuff that gets installed.

open suse are just as great but honestly more a distro for someone that has the office and development side as interest as i see it (as i see it only) and it has a lot of stuff installed that one got to learn how to use.

then the smaller distros that can do a lot when out of the box like ubuntu and derivatives are going to be the top ten sellers and preinstalled computer systems instead of windows.

debian will always be popular since it is so highly stable.

after running open-solaris for some time i would say there is a chance it may become very popular. solaris 10 i have on a cd and have installed it for a while but its too much dedicated a proffesional user as i experience it too be the popular every day OS which the open-solaris versions will be.

but i do not know any of this for sure . i am kinda just guessing. :)

Can't you tell in short...

i hope you can ... please give a short explanation...

adamlau
January 15th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Me thinks Ooboontoo.

etdsbastar
January 24th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Just Bumping ...

jeffreyldavidson
January 24th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I have tried all the top distros, Suse, Fedora, Arch and others. I still come back to Ubuntu. It just works and is quick enough for me. My greatest disappointment was with Arch. I love the idea of a rolling release compared to the the update every six month or so with the other main distros. I found it though to be no faster on my laptop. In fact its Firefox clone was terribly slow and I could never get it up to speed. So, after a time of learning on Arch I still went back to Ubuntu...it just works and its user support is the best.

gnomeuser
January 24th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I would like to be able to say Fedora because I generally think that is the best distro around. However for something everyone can use, and for the sake of ISVs, I believe one needs a longer stability cycle than is offered by any of the top 3 distros. I think CentOS or RHEL (if you need support) would be the most likely out on top.

etdsbastar
January 24th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I would like to be able to say Fedora because I generally think that is the best distro around. However for something everyone can use, and for the sake of ISVs, I believe one needs a longer stability cycle than is offered by any of the top 3 distros. I think CentOS or RHEL (if you need support) would be the most likely out on top.

Can you tell me, that Is fedora faster than ubuntu?

Just a general query...

KIAaze
January 24th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Imagine, After disappearing windows from earth, which linux distro will be popular?
ReactOS: http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

All the windows users will flock to Linux From Scratch.
Mmh, yes, now that's one I didn't think of.:lolflag:

JordyD
January 24th, 2009, 09:29 PM
ReactOS: http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html

Is that site a joke?

KIAaze
January 24th, 2009, 09:47 PM
No, it's real.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactos

Here's another not well known candidate that might replace Windows:
http://www.haiku-os.org/

JordyD
January 24th, 2009, 09:53 PM
No, it's real.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reactos

Here's another not well known candidate that might replace Windows:
http://www.haiku-os.org/

Wow, I wasn't even aware of these.

RichardLinx
January 24th, 2009, 10:02 PM
I think that it will likely be Ubuntu. Just judging from the results will tell you that.
Not really, the majority of users here use Ubuntu and likely haven't tried other distributions. Poll result is (most probably) biased because It was posted on a support forum for Ubuntu.
Linux user opinion varies differently from the hypothetical user who has just discovered Windows has disappeared from the face of the planet.

Now to get on topic. :) If Windows were to disappear from the world for whatever strange, or not so strange reasons we can think of I think It's likely openSUSE or Ubuntu would become the main OS on the Linux side of things, It's likely It would overtake Mac soon after.

openSUSE because It's a professional, stable, well put together OS and would likely be adopted in businesses/universities/libraries around the world which in turn would probably mean people using it on there work laptops and home computers, could also lead to a spread in schools - It could be Ideal for a school environment.

Ubuntu (or derivative) - Very, very easy to use, fairly stable and also a well put together OS, capable of everything openSUSE is and could just as likely become top OS.

But when It comes down to It all, I guess It would be up to luck. Since really It will be what the hardware manufacturers decide to pre-install and what governments decide to adopt.

mfarquhar
January 24th, 2009, 10:03 PM
If Windows were to just suddenly die, many users would probably just keep going for a while not caring, and continue using whatever version of Window they use now.

After the next hardware upgrade cycle or two, a great majority of users would switch to whatever the major manufacturers (Dell, HP, Gateway, Sony, etc.) choose to ship their pre-built machines with, most likely: RedHat, Ubuntu, SuSe, possibly Debian.

RichardLinx
January 24th, 2009, 10:35 PM
If Windows were to just suddenly die, many users would probably just keep going for a while not caring, and continue using whatever version of Window they use now.
But Windows wouldn't exist, the great virus of 2010 would have rendered every Windows machine unusable, and for security reasons Windows would be illegal. The only Windows users left would be in hardcore underground computer gangs - and they too, would fall to the greatness that is LINUX. :D

JordyD
January 24th, 2009, 11:16 PM
But Windows wouldn't exist, the great virus of 2010 would have rendered every Windows machine unusable, and for security reasons Windows would be illegal. The only Windows users left would be in hardcore underground computer gangs - and they too, would fall to the greatness that is LINUX. :D

No, no, the Virus of 2012, as the Mayan Calendar predicts.

JordyD
January 24th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Personally, I think that people would just switch over to Macs, because that's the only other thing they know about.

etdsbastar
February 20th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Personally, I think that people would just switch over to Macs, because that's the only other thing they know about.

Tell me clearly friend...

I couldn't get you...

gnomeuser
February 20th, 2009, 01:26 PM
It will be whatever distro the Chinese authorities decide to sanction.

They already "sanction" Red Flag Linux which is based on Asianux, which in return is based on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, which again is based on Fedora.

Russia is also said to be building their national OS on Fedora though I personally think they would be wise to use RHEL/CentOS as a base unless they plan to join Fedora quite actively to provide a longer support cycles for the releases they pick to based their product on.

And naturally the OLPC OS is also based quite directly on Fedora making Fedora a very widely used product to based such massive deployments on.

It does warm my heart that something to which I give my time ends up hopefully bettering the life of so many people.

Vorian Grey
February 20th, 2009, 02:19 PM
openSuse sure got a lot of votes, with this being an Ubuntu forum and all. I wonder why? ;)

gnomeuser
February 21st, 2009, 10:21 PM
openSuse sure got a lot of votes, with this being an Ubuntu forum and all. I wonder why? ;)

They invest a lot of time, effort and money into Linux. Their work shows, it's fundamentally a very nice distro. While I personally prefer Fedora, openSUSE would be my second choice.

I think people aren't to petty to acknowledge when others do good work, at least I hope that's the case.

etdsbastar
February 23rd, 2009, 12:34 PM
Dear Friend,

I know, but try posting the same query in some other forum. You will get a proper result. If already posted then please send me the link. I want to see what ubuntu got and I am sure the highest.

etdsbastar
March 26th, 2009, 07:47 PM
bump

hairshirt
May 26th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Haiku!

growled
May 26th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Ubuntu. None of the other distros even compare.

hatten
June 18th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Arch linux!!!!

gjoellee
June 18th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Ubuntu, Debian and Mint will be the most popular distros for "normal users".

Among more "advanced users" it will be Ubuntu, Arch and Fedora

WatchingThePain
June 18th, 2009, 06:07 PM
So the question is : "Which Linux distro will dominate over all others?".

Who knows what will happen next?.

Maybe OS's will change and become Flash based or something.

Here's some info http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity

JordyD
June 18th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Tell me clearly friend...

I couldn't get you...

Sorry, I never saw this before.

What I mean is that most people that use Windows only know of Apple Macintosh computers as an alternative, so I think that they would all go get Macintoshes.

etdsbastar
September 10th, 2009, 01:33 PM
I am back after a long long time ...

bump... :lolflag:

Joe_Strummer
September 10th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Whatever distribution is most popular at the time is what people are most likely to use. Personally, I would recommend Ubuntu, openSUSE, or Fedora.

chriskin
September 10th, 2009, 02:00 PM
ubuntu and/or something made by Google

etdsbastar
May 30th, 2010, 07:53 PM
bump...

etdsbastar
June 17th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Is anyone else to vote please???