PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help installing

alexh719
November 9th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I have used Windows all my life and I am very new to Ubuntu. I am trying to install it on my laptop as I type this. It would not load with the wubi because it either said that it encountered an error and needed to close or the installation said it was already being used when I attempted to reinstall.
I finally just did the dual-boot (not sure if thats the name) where when you restart the computer, it brings up the choice of Windows or Ubuntu. After choosing Ubuntu, after the logo was gone, it brings up a command prompt type screen and there are lines of text saying "Buffer I/0 Error on device sr0, logical block#". What does this mean and how can I install Ubuntu properly? I really want to have this operating system but I am very bad with computers.
Help would be much appreciated!

73ckn797
November 9th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I have used Windows all my life and I am very new to Ubuntu. I am trying to install it on my laptop as I type this. It would not load with the wubi because it either said that it encountered an error and needed to close or the installation said it was already being used when I attempted to reinstall.
I finally just did the dual-boot (not sure if thats the name) where when you restart the computer, it brings up the choice of Windows or Ubuntu. After choosing Ubuntu, after the logo was gone, it brings up a command prompt type screen and there are lines of text saying "Buffer I/0 Error on device sr0, logical block#". What does this mean and how can I install Ubuntu properly? I really want to have this operating system but I am very bad with computers.
Help would be much appreciated!

Is the LiveCD a good burn? Need to check disk on reboot into the LiveCD.

Will also need to perform a checksum of the downloaded "iso" file prior to burning. Do a search/advanced search to find info on that.

Read any "Sticky" messages in the "Absolute Beginners" forum and follow any links. The Ubuntu Community Help is also a good resource, if you are willing to read through things.

Welcome to Ubuntu.

):P